Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Calorimetery Problem. It's not a homework but I can't get the answer.

1. Nov 17, 2009 #1
    Calorimetery Problem. :( It's not a homework but I can't get the answer.

0.510 g of ethanol is burned in a flame calorimeter (constant pressure) containing 1200 g of water. The water is initially 22.46 C and is warmed up to 25.52 C as a result of the reaction. The heat capacity of the calorimeter is 10.4 kJ/ C. What is the change in enthaply for the combustion of ethanol? Also, calculate the heat released when 73.5 g of ethanol undergoes combustion.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2009 #2
    Re: Calorimetery Problem. :( It's not a homework but I can't get the answer.

Show an attempt at a solution? Relevant equations? Anything?

4. Nov 17, 2009 #3

I did attempt it on my own. I was hoping someone would explain it to me though.

I used Q(rxn) = Q(water) + Q(calorimeter)

Also expanded: Q (rxn) = -[(m*s*change in temp.) + (C*change in temp.)]
    = -[(1200*4.184*3.06) + (10400*3.06)] <---- I changed things from joules to kJ

And then I am lost from there. I got 47.22 KJ

5. Nov 18, 2009 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Seems to me so far you are doing fine. 47.22kJ per how much ethanol? It will be better to list it either per gram or - even better - per mole. And watch the sign.

--

6. Nov 18, 2009 #5

Your solution looks good so far, you're almost there. What equations do you know that include enthalpy and energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook