Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can 5th order equations be solved by means other than radicals?

1. May 19, 2012 #1
    As the title suggests, we know from the Abel-Rufini theorem that 5th order equations cannot be solved using radicals. I haven't managed however to find an either positive or negative answer to the following statement:

"Can 5th order equations be analytically solved by means other than radicals?"

This of course rules out numerical solutions. It is pretty contrary to my intuition, however I am entertaining the notion in case it can be solved using modern (or exotic :tongue:) mathematics that are not yet easily found in books.

Any ideas mathematicians? :biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2012 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

In a history of math book that I read as a teenager, I recall that Hermite produced a non-algebraic solution. So I just now went searching for it on the web, and I think it is this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bring_radical See the section on The Hermite–Kronecker–Brioschi characterization. I haven't studied this material.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook