Can a Butcher Accurately Measure Fat Content in Ground Meat?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 2K views
Loren Booda
Messages
3,115
Reaction score
4
How does a butcher determine the fat content of ground meat to within a percentage point?
 
Biology news on Phys.org
They http://www.hobartcorp.com/assets/specsheets/F-7514.pdf , of course.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You've whet my appetite with food for thought, but where's the beef?
 
'twould that all scientifically-minded questions were so easy to answer...

How do they measure the large-scale curvature of the universe?
How do they determine how many physical dimensions there are?
 
A farmer was asked at his road-side stand how he could sell rabbit-meat sandwiches for only $1 each, and the farmer admitted that he used a bit of horse-meat to "extend" the rabbit-meat. When pressed, he admitted that the horse-meat to rabbit-meat ratio was about 50:50. When he was asked how he measured that ratio, the answer was "one horse, one rabbit".
 
Wow... I thought the information would be easy to find. It's not.

The USDA website was not particularly helpful, but I did locate a reference to '9 CFR 319.15(a)' which covers allowable fat content in ground meat. I could not find the actual document, nor could I find any documentation on how fat content is to be determined, nor the allowable variability.
 
Seriously, the first response had it. It's measured. If you want more details, you can always count on the military to have specific protocols.
http://www.marines.mil/news/publications/Documents/MCO%2010110.15C.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I feel better knowing that a good majority of its fat is rendered when I cook 80% lean ground beef.:-p