1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can a car be considered in rotational equilibrium?

1. May 18, 2008 #1
    The impression I'm getting of rotational equilibrium is that it applies to objects that are connected to an axis of rotation, such as a ball connected to a rod. What if a car was moving in a circular path, would the concept of torque apply to it, even though it's not connected physically to its axis of rotation?

thank you!
  2. jcsd
  3. May 19, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Hi shortydeb,

Rotational equilibrium exists when the total net torque on an object is zero. Static equilibrium is when the object is also not in motion. You can apply both concepts to a car (depending on the situation of course).

You can definitely calculate the torque on a car. If a car is moving on a circular track at constant speed, what is the net torque on it?

Did this answer your question?
  4. May 19, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi shortydeb! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Rotational equilibrium is often used to calculate forces where there isn't really any sensible axis.

For example, you may have noticed that if you and a friend are carrying a heavy pole, the one who holds it nearer the end supports less weight.

This can only be calculated by using the fact that the pole is not rotating! :smile:
  5. May 21, 2008 #4
    I would guess it's zero since the car has no angular acceleration...

anyway i thought about this for a little bit and i concluded (wrongfully or not) that any object can be in rotational equilibrium since the sum of the external torques just has to be equal to zero.

Much appreciated btw.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?