Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation?

In summary, the conversation discusses problem solving techniques for determining the unknowns in a physics question involving torque and force equilibrium equations. It is mentioned that using the center of mass as the axis of rotation yields the correct answer, whereas using other locations may not. The concept of fictitious forces is also brought up as a helpful tool in these types of problems.
cj
Ok, I solved the question posed in the attached image. I did so by using the car's center of mass as the location of my axis of rotation, generated torque and force equilibrium equations, and solved for all unknowns.

When I try to use another location for my axis of rotation, e.g., the point where the front wheels make contact with the ground (thus eliminating the friction forces since their torque arm=0), I get an answer straight away -- but it's not correct!

My experience -- plus my textbooks (Halliday & Serway) -- say selecting any arbitrary location for my axis of rotation is valid (whether you have enough equations to cover the unknowns is a different matter).

QUESTION:
It seems, in this case, the choice is not arbitrary: I must use the COM as the axis of rotation location. WHY? Does it have something to do with the car not being in x-dimension equilibrium?

Attachments

• equilibrium.jpg
    equilibrium.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Try it by putting in the pseudo force -ma at the center of mass. You will find that this gives the right answer. Basically, what you are doing is moving the ma to the same side of the equation as the applied forces (as just another applied force necessary to hold the body in static equilibrium), and then taking moments of those forces about an arbitrary center of rotation. For a body in static equilibrium, it doesn't matter what point you use to take the moments.

Chet

Ah, THANK YOU - very helpful. I've never dug into fictitious forces - much less utilized them in problem solving. Seems like I need to start. Again, thank you.

1. What is "Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation"?

"Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation" is a concept in physics that deals with the balance of forces and torques acting on an object that is rotating around an axis that is not fixed or predefined.

2. Why is the concept of "Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation" important?

This concept is important because it allows us to analyze and understand the motion of objects that are rotating around an axis that is not fixed. It also helps us determine the conditions for an object to be in rotational equilibrium, which is essential in many real-world applications.

3. How do you determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium on an arbitrary axis of rotation?

To determine if an object is in rotational equilibrium on an arbitrary axis of rotation, you need to calculate the net torque acting on the object and make sure it is equal to zero. This can be done by summing up all the individual torques acting on the object, taking into account their direction and magnitude.

4. Can an object be in equilibrium on an arbitrary axis of rotation if it is not in equilibrium on a fixed axis?

Yes, an object can be in equilibrium on an arbitrary axis of rotation even if it is not in equilibrium on a fixed axis. This is because the axis of rotation can affect the distribution of forces and torques on the object, and thus change the conditions for equilibrium.

5. What are some real-world examples of "Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation"?

Some real-world examples of "Equilibrium Question: Arbitrary Axis of Rotation" include a spinning top, a revolving door, a rotating wind turbine, and a spinning figure skater. In each of these examples, the object is rotating around an axis that is not fixed, and the concept of rotational equilibrium on an arbitrary axis can be applied to analyze their motion.