zoobyshoe
- 6,514
- 1,255
Jeff Reid said:No, as the device goes down stream...
What force moves the device down stream to begin with? The force of the stream is being turned around to wind it upstream.
Jeff Reid said:No, as the device goes down stream...
I have sketched this out for myself for the case of a spool which is larger in diameter than the paddle wheel. (In this case the rope must be all underwater.) If we consider the paddles alone, the force of the water on the paddles still acts to rotate the device such that it will wind itself upstream. The force of the river on the thing as a whole, however, is surely enough to counteract this and will push it downstream, unwinding as it goes. When this happens, the paddles are moot, and do not give it any thrust in excess of the speed of the water. It will be pushed down stream at some speed less than the river speed, unwinding as it goes, paddles contributing nothing to forward speed.vanesch said:In fact, it is easy to see what way the thing will turn: you take the effective point of attachment of the force with the water, and the effective point of attachment of the force on the rope (which is easy: it is along the rope itself). This couple of (balanced) forces will make up a torque, and the direction of the torque will give you the direction in which the system will rotate.
So if the effective interaction point of the water with the wheel is BELOW the rope, then obviously, the torque will work in the sense of the hands of the clock and the rope will wind up, while if the interaction point is ABOVE the rope, it will unwind.
zoobyshoe said:I have sketched this out for myself for the case of a spool which is larger in diameter than the paddle wheel. (In this case the rope must be all underwater.) If we consider the paddles alone, the force of the water on the paddles still acts to rotate the device such that it will wind itself upstream.
The force of the river on the thing as a whole, however, is surely enough to counteract this and will push it downstream, unwinding as it goes.
vanesch said:Well, we make abstraction of "the rest" and consider that only the paddles are in contact with the water, can we ?
I think you’re spot on. Whether the paddlewheel rolls up (Fig1) or down (Fig3) the cable or neither (Fig2) depends if the force of the water is above or bellow the point where the cable leaves the spool. So will this design ever be able to travel DDSFTTS? (S = Stream)vanesch said:In fact, it is easy to see what way the thing will turn: you take the effective point of attachment of the force with the water, and the effective point of attachment of the force on the rope (which is easy: it is along the rope itself). This couple of (balanced) forces will make up a torque, and the direction of the torque will give you the direction in which the system will rotate.
So if the effective interaction point of the water with the wheel is BELOW the rope, then obviously, the torque will work in the sense of the hands of the clock and the rope will wind up, while if the interaction point is ABOVE the rope, it will unwind.
Yes. If the cable unwinds from the bottom of the spool, below the paddles, the device is advancing against the water (0 < advance ratio < 1). If the spool were reversed so the cable unwound from the top of the spool it would move downstream, but slower than the water, regardless of the relative diameters (advance ratio < 0).swerdna said:paddlewheel rolls down (Fig3) the cable. So will this design ever be able to travel DDSFTTS?
In the case of the spool on the box, there's nothing significant to dampen out the motion caused by jerks on the thread. For the DDWFTTW carts, the momentum of the components, and the drag related factors provide enough damping that the cart doesn't oscillate noticably on a treadmill. In a real outdoor test with a wind that varied, the carts momentum would tend to smooth the motion due to momenum, alternating between powered mode and coast mode.zoobyshoe said:It sort of works. In spurts.
Jeff Reid said:In the case of the spool on the box, there's nothing significant to dampen out the motion caused by jerks on the thread. For the DDWFTTW carts, the momentum of the components, and the drag related factors provide enough damping that the cart doesn't oscillate noticably on a treadmill. In a real outdoor test with a wind that varied, the carts momentum would tend to smooth the motion due to momenum, alternating between powered mode and coast mode.
No, the cart will average DDWFTTW if the wind variance is within reason. (It wouldn't work with microbursts every few seconds).zoobyshoe said:Well, it seems from this that you acknowledge that you're going to end up with a speed oscillation of + and - wind speed that almost surely will give your cart an average speed = average wind speed, not FTTW.
Jeff Reid said:No, the cart will average DDWFTTW if the wind variance is within reason. (It wouldn't work with microbursts every few seconds).
zoobyshoe said:Isn't the whole thing kind of pointless if all you end up with is something like average cart speed exceeds average wind speed by .0000000006785 %?
What people want to see is the cart zipping downwind so obviously faster than the wind it blow their socks off. They want to see the cart under the ruler, with wind.
Jeff Reid said:It is more difficult, and I previously questioned if the propeller related losses (induced wash, slip ratio, angular movement of air, tip vortices, ...) would exceed what is needed to accomplish DDWFTTW. The videos have convinced me that DDWFTTW with a propeller works.
You stated that my last explantion wasn't simplified enough.
Simpler still description:
Prop power input = force at wheels times ground speed at wheels
Prop power output = force at prop times air speed at prop
The power input is used to create the torque and angular velocity used to drive the prop. The prop generates a higher force but at a lower speed than the wheel + ground interface. A tailwind allows the prop to interact with air that is moving slower than the ground (using the cart as a frame of reference), so that the slower speed at the prop still results in a net upwind thrust.
The net upwind thrust opposes the tailwind, slowing the wind down significantly below cart speed, allowing the cart to operate DDWFTTW.
ThinAirDesign said:Our current cart beats the wind by over 1.5x. That's just a bit more than .0000000006785%
Additionally, it only goes through windspeed once on the way to that speed rather than oscilate back and forch above and below it as you describe.
JB
ThinAirDesign said:Our current cart beats the wind by over 1.5x.
tsig said:So are you saying that the prop output is greater that it's input? More power out than power in is impossible no matter what the gearing.
zoobyshoe said:I know, and for only $50.00 I can find out how wrong I am!
zoobyshoe said:I know, and for only $50.00 I can find out how wrong I am!
Hmmm. Tempting... Tell you what: send me $500.00 to cover my video study time, shopping and construction time, gas for the truck, electricity for shop lighting and power tools, and I'll do it. Actually, make it $3000.00: I'm going to need a radar gun and an accurate anemometer. Those are going to take time to figure out how to use, and I'll need to hire assistants to man them. There'll be training time. I might need a radio controlled steering mechanism. Coffee and donuts, all that. Days of locations scouting and wind chasing: make it $5000.00.Subductionzon said:I am fairly sure that spork published a parts list, he also has made a series of how to build it yourself videos. So you might be able to do it for even less. You do not have to send your hard earned money to him. We can show how wrong you are wholesale!
Boy have I got a deal for you! . . .zoobyshoe said:Hmmm. Tempting... Tell you what: send me $500.00 to cover my video study time, shopping and construction time, gas for the truck, electricity for shop lighting and power tools, and I'll do it. Actually, make it $3000.00: I'm going to need a radar gun and an accurate anemometer. Those are going to take time to figure out how to use, and I'll need to hire assistants to man them. There'll be training time. I might need a radio controlled steering mechanism. Coffee and donuts, all that. Days of locations scouting and wind chasing: make it $5000.00.
For a mere $5000.00 you can prove how wrong I am!
That’s something I’ve always been curious about as well. I’ve only been studying this principle since November 2008 but some have been doing it for many years. Some say it has been conclusively proven and others are refusing to accept the proof provided. The lack of testing in “real” wind or even water I also find curious.pallidin said:I am rather curious as to why this issue has not been settled.
This phenomena expression, including all variants, is readily testable and arguably affordable; thus well within the confines of even basic scientific inspection.
There should be a definitive, "this is how it works/doesn't work" answer.
But I'm not seeing that.
swerdna said:Boy have I got a deal for you! . . .
Pay me just half the $5000.00 (a mere $2500.00) and I will continue to spend my time and money doing all the making, testing, filming, and posting the results for you.
But wait, there’s more! . . .
10% discount for prompt payment!
zoobyshoe said:My curiosity got the better of me and I made a model using a spool of thread with a dowel pushed through the hole. For the water I cut a slot in a cardboard box. The spool goes in the slot and the dowel's ends ride on the box. With the thread tied down, I pushed on the box. This gives the spool a thrust according to the ""advance ratio"", but too much. It gets so much momentum that it rolls faster than the water can keep up, unrolling more thread than it should so that the thread tension is lost. It comes to rest and sits there at water speed doing nothing till it's carried far enough downstream to restore the tension. Then it gets another impulse. Then it loses tension. And so on. It sort of works. In spurts. It's much like my prediction about the cart, which was that it might be able to temporarily go faster than the wind on momentum, but then it would slow back down to wind speed.
Jeff Reid said:In the case of the spool on the box, there's nothing significant to dampen out the motion caused by jerks on the thread. For the DDWFTTW carts, the momentum of the components, and the drag related factors provide enough damping that the cart doesn't oscillate noticably on a treadmill. In a real outdoor test with a wind that varied, the carts momentum would tend to smooth the motion due to momenum, alternating between powered mode and coast mode.
zoobyshoe said:I figured out a completely dry way to dampen it: push it uphill.
I found a board and elevated one end a couple/three inches. To insure the dowel had traction I put two pieces of tape, sticky side up, on either side of the slot. Then I put the spool/wheel unit on the box and taped the end of the thread to the floor. Then I pushed the water uphill.
It seems, ladies and gentlemen, this embodyment works.
The box moved 27.8 cm and the spool/wheel unit moved 34.7 cm.
-----------------
I think the cart under the ruler does much better but this one could be vastly improved with larger wheels. The "wheels" are .78 cm in diameter and the spool is 3.67 cm in diameter for a ratio of 1:4.7. Obviously something like 1: 1.5 is going to be way better.
(I also realized I could have dampened it with tape alone.)
Jeff Reid said:Prop power input = force at wheels times ground speed at wheels
Prop power output = force at prop times air speed at prop
The power input is used to create the torque and angular velocity used to drive the prop. The prop generates a higher force but at a lower speed than the wheel + ground interface. A tailwind allows the prop to interact with air that is moving slower than the ground (using the cart as a frame of reference), so that the slower speed at the prop still results in a net upwind thrust.
The net upwind thrust opposes the tailwind, slowing the wind down significantly below cart speed, allowing the cart to operate DDWFTTW.
No, I'm saying the prop outputs more force, but at a slower still speed, and if you compare power output (prop thrust x air speed) versis power input (wheel force x ground speed), the power output is less than the power input. The tailwind interacts with the slow upwind thrust from the prop to generate a forwards force on the cart, greater than the opposing force from the ground onto the driven wheels (related to the torque load from the prop).tsig said:So are you saying that the prop output is greater that it's input? More power out than power in is impossible no matter what the gearing.
Swerdna's turntable video shows that. The angular speed (rate of rotation) for Swerdna's cart was about -1/2.3 times the rate of the turntable, so relative to the turn table, the cart advances 3.3 revolutions while the wind advances 2.3 revolutions, about 1.4 times the wind speed.zoobyshoe said:Isn't the whole thing kind of pointless if all you end up with is something like average cart speed exceeds average wind speed by .0000000006785 %? What people want to see is the cart zipping downwind so obviously faster than the wind it blow their socks off. They want to see the cart under the ruler, with wind.
Jeff Reid said:Swerdna's turntable video shows that. The angular speed (rate of rotation) for Swerdna's cart was about -1/2.3 times the rate of the turntable, so relative to the turn table, the cart advances 3.3 revolutions while the wind advances 2.3 revolutions, about 1.4 times the wind speed.
He was talking about Swerdna's cart. I thought Swerdna was working independently.ThinAirDesign said:Our current cart beats the wind by over 1.5x.