Can a Charge Repel a Neutral Object?

• I
  • Thread starter Spectrum90
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Neutral
In summary, a neutral object does not experience any electromagnetic force. It is possible to build something that repels any kind of object, but it is not possible to create a force field that attracts all objects.
Spectrum90
Hi.

Positive charges atract negative charges, and repel positive ones.
Same thing happens with negative charges.
But both of them atract Neutral Charges.

Is there any way for any charge to repel a neutral object?

If it is, then is it possible to build any device that uses that kind of knowlegde to repel any object with a big force when triggered?

Physics news on Phys.org
Spectrum90 said:
But both of them atract Neutral Charges.
No they do not. A neutral charge does not experience any electromagnetic force.

Well but isn't it possible to build something that repels any kind of object?
Isn't there a force, a radiation something?
Magnetic force is a possibility but to make it repel metal that it's not magnetized, the magnetic field would need to be on a constant destabilization.

I'm not sure what you mean by a repulsive force.
Are you looking for something like 'anti-gravity', which could exert a force on *any* object, thus accelerating it, without actually being in contact with it?
Electromagnetic effects, as you pointed out, can only apply to objects which have a magnetic field.
Gravity appears to only work as an attractive force.
That leaves the strong and weak nuclear forces, and I can't think how those might provide such a mechanism.

Last edited:
@Berkman
Yes the solar sail *might* fall into this category, but it's basically just transferring of momentum isn't it?
In principal the same thing as accelerating a ball by hitting it with a bat.

Likes berkeman
I mean if it's possible to create a force field where objects that come with a certain speed can be stopped or slowed by entering that same force field, it may seem to much fiction, but i believe that it is possible.
In other words, it's repelling objects that come near the same force we are talking.
A magnetic force on non magnetized metals is the most obvious but it only works on metals that can be affected be magnetism.
I wanted something that could maintain all kinds of objects away.
Indeed a stable atmosphere inside that force field is possible since that same force field could not affect the lighter atoms like Oxigen, Carbon and Hidrogen.

It does seem very much like you are seeking for something like negative gravity.
I think that implies you would need to have a substance with a negative mass! - which is very exotic matter to say the least of it.

Related to Can a Charge Repel a Neutral Object?

1. What is the concept of repelling neutral objects?

Repelling neutral objects refers to the phenomenon where two objects with no net charge are pushed away from each other due to the repulsive force between their neutral charges.

2. How does repelling neutral objects occur?

Repelling neutral objects occurs due to the presence of atomic particles, such as electrons and protons, which have equal and opposite charges. When two neutral objects come close to each other, the electrons in one object repel the electrons in the other object, causing a repulsive force between them.

3. Can all neutral objects repel each other?

No, not all neutral objects can repel each other. The objects must have the same type and amount of charge distribution for repulsion to occur. If the charges are not evenly distributed, the objects may attract instead of repel.

4. What is the significance of repelling neutral objects in science?

The concept of repelling neutral objects is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles and the fundamental forces that govern them. It also has applications in various fields such as electricity, magnetism, and chemistry.

5. How is repelling neutral objects different from other types of forces?

Unlike other types of forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism, which can act on both charged and neutral objects, repelling neutral objects only occurs between two neutral objects. It is solely based on the distribution of charges within the objects and does not involve the presence of external charges.