Electrostatic force between charged and neutral object?

• Thread starter Dragynfyre
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Well we just learned about Coulomb's Law today but there is something that is bothering me. According to Coulomb's Law the magnitude of the force of attraction between a charged and neutral object is 0. However, the Law of Electrostatics states that a charged and neutral object should attract each other. I'm wondering is there a special case for calculating the force of attraction when one object is neutral and the other is charged?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law

F=kq1q2/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

If 0 is substituted in for q1 in the equation the magnitude of the force becomes 0 no matter what the charge is on the second object.

Answers and Replies

rl.bhat
Homework Helper
Hi Dragynfyre, welcome to PF.

When you bring a charged particle near a neutral object, opposite charge is induces on the near surface of the neutral object and the same charge on the far side of the neutral object. Due to this a net force is acting on the charged particle. The magnitude of the net force depends on the dimension of the neutral object.

Ahh okay but say there was an object where the electrons could not move and a charge can't be induced. For example the electrostatic force between a proton and neutron (I know there are quarks and other stuff but let's leave those out of this discussion). Would the force be 0?