Can a Conductive Graphite Coating Prevent Zinc Chloride Reaction with Steel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jackazz99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Steel Zinc
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jackazz99
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hi ,

I am looking to coat the inside of a small nickel plated steel can (about the same size as an AA battery casing) with a conductive graphite layer that has enough density to prevent ZnCl2 (zinc chloride) reacting with the steel.
The can is filled with some ZnCl2 and I am trying to prevent the ZnCl2 from reacting with the metal whilst keeping the lining of the can highly conductive.
Can this be achieved by paint or other form of coating ?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
jackazz99 said:
Hi ,

I am looking to coat the inside of a small nickel plated steel can (about the same size as an AA battery casing) with a conductive graphite layer that has enough density to prevent ZnCl2 (zinc chloride) reacting with the steel.
The can is filled with some ZnCl2 and I am trying to prevent the ZnCl2 from reacting with the metal whilst keeping the lining of the can highly conductive.
Can this be achieved by paint or other form of coating ?

Don't know if it will work, but we used to use something called "Aquadag" to paint on a nice flat-black graphite coating. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquadag

Somehwat surprisingly, you can buy it in little bottles via Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OVGH9A/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Thanks , Aquadag does not provide enough conductivity (too much resistance) , really need to keep the graphite pure.
Alternatively I am thinking about Ag as a coating , does Ag react with ZnCl2 ?

Thanks !