Can a Home-Made Turbine Engine Be Built on a Tight Budget Using Scrap Car Parts?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
c.smith10
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
hi
this is my first post on here so please be gentle.
my names chris and I am an aerospace engineering student and i would like to build a jet engine based around a turbo charger, i know this concept isn't new but its something i would like to build. I am on a tight budget so i need to build some systems from scrap car parts and salvaged bits and pieces.
im hoping some people on here will be able to help confirm my ideas or suggest alternative,
first up is the lubrication system.
my plan is to use a power steering pump belt driven by a starter motor powered by a 12v car battery. does this sound feasible?

cheers, chris
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Look around on the net at what other builders have done. See what has and hasn't worked for them. One thing I will advise you on is the starter motor for lube. That is way more motor than a lube pump needs. I would advise sticking to a motor that has a 100% duty cycle and you shouldn't count on that with a starter.
 
hi
thanks for the reply, going away from the starter motor I am thinking either a golf buggy motor(to much?) or a windscreen wiper motor(not enough?) i have read that a wiper motor will produce between 13 and 1 pound foot of torque, what do you think?