Can a Lens Create a Rainbow from a Broad Beam of Light?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter notnow
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Beam Rainbow
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
notnow
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
In standard experiment with prism, you can create a rainbow from a thin beam of white light. Is it possible to design a lens that will create a rainbow from a broad beam? Even if it is only at a fixed distance from the lens?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe the purpose of the thin slit is to produce light which is coherent. As far as producing a spectrum with a prism is concerned, I don't think the width of the beam of light makes much of a difference, but the coherence is important.

I may be wrong the second point though.
 
notnow said:
In standard experiment with prism, you can create a rainbow from a thin beam of white light. Is it possible to design a lens that will create a rainbow from a broad beam? Even if it is only at a fixed distance from the lens?

I suppose- if you use a lens with huge amounts of transverse chromatic aberration. Three lifetimes ago, I was part of a pilot project to use a 'crappy' lens (large amounts of longitudinal chromatic aberration) to make a hyperspectral imager.