Can a loud inaudible sound drown out audible noise?

• B
  • Thread starter ChromeBit
  • Start date
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
No, sounds are additive.

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I do think there may be some merit to the OP's input. Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound. I have limited expertise in this area, but I think the OP's post deserves further consideration.

anorlunda
Staff Emeritus
Insights Author
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?
Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?

Charles Link
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound.
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.
I suspect that is the wrong interpretation .... that's just a displacement of the sound wave

yes he does to clarify @ChromeBit ???

his OP reads like 2 sound sources side by side ( or at least in close proximity) ....
will the hi level low and inaudible low freq one drown out the audible one ??

Dave