Can a loud inaudible sound drown out audible noise?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ChromeBit
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Noise Sound
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
ChromeBit
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I do think there may be some merit to the OP's input. Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound. I have limited expertise in this area, but I think the OP's post deserves further consideration.
 
ChromeBit said:
To the best of my knowledge: a powerful oscillation at one frequency means more energy is required to make same medium oscillate at another frequency.

Since sound perception works by detection of air oscillation, could a sufficiently powerful oscillation at an inaudible frequency (to humans) hearing drown out any audible noise?

Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?
 
anorlunda said:
Are you asking about noise canceling headphones?
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.
 
Charles Link said:
Even atmospheric turbulence, basically inaudible, can adversely affect the propagation of sound.
Charles Link said:
The OP needs to respond, but I interpreted the question to be that of trying to quiet a sound that originated from faraway by disrupting the atmosphere between the source and the listener with acoustical sources that are inaudible.

I suspect that is the wrong interpretation ... that's just a displacement of the sound wave

yes he does to clarify @ChromeBit ?his OP reads like 2 sound sources side by side ( or at least in close proximity) ...
will the hi level low and inaudible low freq one drown out the audible one ??

Dave