Can a monkey outrun a bullet and still save her litter?

• Thread starter powergirl
  • Start date
If you drive me to the airport.2. I am afraid of going up in elevators.3. Drinking cocoa keeps me warm on long winter nights.4. I hope the map leads us to buried treasure.5. "Eat another bonbon," said our charming hostess.6. Nepal may be the most interesting place I have ever visited.7. Remember to fold the map, please.8. I feel many lumps in this mattress.9. Word processing is not as useful as pens and paper for creative brainstorming.1. Willow2. Fir3. Oak4. Pine5. Chestnut6. Elm7. Maple8. Apple9. Ash

Yes, the elephant is the answer.

redargon said:
what about a giraffe, hippopotamus, rhinocerous...

They have two elbows and two knees. Actually I think horses, including giraffes, zebra etc, have the knees at the front and elbow type joints on their hind legs.

Mental

Physics news on Phys.org

neu said:
Yes, the elephant is the answer.

They have two elbows and two knees. Actually I think horses, including giraffes, zebra etc, have the knees at the front and elbow type joints on their hind legs.

Mental
Actually, if you check out their anatomy, you will discover that it is not an elbow type joint at all, it is their ankle.

Cats, dogs and the like walk on their tip toes. Giraffe, zebra etc. walk on their toenails.

http://www.infovisual.info/02/img_en/070%20Skeleton%20of%20a%20dog.jpg"

For Elephants, you're not looking at a knee at all, you're looking at their wrist
http://www.elephantcountryweb.com/elephantskeleton.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

None of this gets close to the answer to the question. If an elbow is a joint in the arm, and a knee is a joint in the leg, then when you say that the elephant is the only animal that has four knees, you are also saying that the elephant is the only animal that has four legs.

Here's a joke that sounds better than it reads: A horse has 6 legs, two legs in the rear and forelegs in the front.

Last edited:

jimmysnyder said:
None of this gets close to the answer to the question. If an elbow is a joint in the arm, and a knee is a joint in the leg, then when you say that the elephant is the only animal that has four knees, you are also saying that the elephant is the only animal that has four legs.
He's getting at which way the joint bends. Knees point forward, elbows point backward.

What he's not realizing is that those aren't the animal equivalent of knees or elbows at all. They're wrists and ankles.

DaveC426913 said:
He's getting at which way the joint bends. Knees point forward, elbows point backward.
Is that the definition of knee and elbow? I thought a knee was the joint in the leg between the femur on one side and the tibia and fibula on the other. And the elbow, the joint between the humerus on the one side and the ulna and radius on the other. That's how it is on me and my kids.

DaveC426913 said:
What he's not realizing is that those aren't the animal equivalent of knees or elbows at all. They're wrists and ankles.
The picture you provided is not a photograph, it is an artist's rendering. If the image intends to show only the limbs on the left side of the animal, then it clearly shows the femur, tibia, and fibula on the hind leg and the knee at about the location you would expect it to be. And the humerus, ulna, and radius (or femur, tibia and fibula) on the forelimb again with the elbow (or knee) just where you would expect it to be. I have been looking for a clear photographic image of the forelimb on the net but have failed. Here is the best I have so far:
< link to possibly harmful site deleted > Surely, someone can find a better shot of the lower forelimbs, but I have given up.

jimmysnyder said:
Is that the definition of knee and elbow? I thought a knee was the joint in the leg between the femur on one side and the tibia and fibula on the other. And the elbow, the joint between the humerus on the one side and the ulna and radius on the other. That's how it is on me and my kids.
Well, you make a good point which strikes at the heat of the OP's question. What is the differnce between a leg and an arm?

All four-legged mammals have two limbs attached to a pelvis and two limbs that attach to a collarbone. No four-legged animal has two pelvi. This seems to be the structural definition of arm versus leg. (The only other one I can think of is one that distinguishes between prone walkers and upright walkers, but that's again pretty loosey-goosey.)

jimmysnyder said:
The picture you provided is not a photograph, it is an artist's rendering.
Not really sure why that's relevant or necessary to point out, but...

I too had a lot of difficulty finding good elephant skeleton images.

jimmysnyder said:
If the image intends to show only the limbs on the left side of the animal, then it clearly shows the femur, tibia, and fibula on the hind leg and the knee at about the location you would expect it to be. And the humerus, ulna, and radius (or femur, tibia and fibula) on the forelimb again with the elbow (or knee) just where you would expect it to be.
In this sense you are correct. The forelimbs of all four-limbed animals are humerus, ulna and radius, which is pretty much the definition of an arm as distinct from a leg.

Thus, an elephant has two arms and two legs, like every other mammal.

I'll come clean and confess I heard it on telly (on QI) and assumed it to be true. I've come to agree with dave that their elbow is positioned higher on the limb and it's their wrists which bend forward and give the apearance of a knee.

This makes a lot more sense as I thought it strange that the elephant would have evolved a unique limb structure.

I stand corrected

DaveC426913 said:
Not really sure why that's relevant or necessary to point out, but...
Sorry, I meant no criticism. I felt it necessary to point out because it was the only picture I could find that clearly showed the three bones in the forelimb. I would much rather have had a photograph to work with.

neu said:
I'll come clean and confess I heard it on telly (on QI) and assumed it to be true.
QI is loads of fun, but it's only about 70% accurate. You must double-check anything you see there.

jimmysnyder said:

The picture you provided is not a photograph, it is an artist's rendering. If the image intends to show only the limbs on the left side of the animal, then it clearly shows the femur, tibia, and fibula on the hind leg and the knee at about the location you would expect it to be. And the humerus, ulna, and radius (or femur, tibia and fibula) on the forelimb again with the elbow (or knee) just where you would expect it to be. I have been looking for a clear photographic image of the forelimb on the net but have failed. Here is the best I have so far:
< link to possibly harmful site deleted > Surely, someone can find a better shot of the lower forelimbs, but I have given up.

I get this when I go to that site:

http://safebrowsing.clients.google....load/5F426B8E-37D7-4708-9395-0F99FFEC1F1E.jpg

is that a safe site? might want to check your adaware.

K.J.Healey said:
is that a safe site? might want to check your adaware.
I don't get a warning when I go there. Perhaps because I am running Mozilla on Linux. I am going to report myself just in case and have the admins remove the link from my post and from yours as well.

jimmysnyder said:

Since this is brainteasers, one might be expected to stretch definitions to get an answer, but for the sake of correctness, yes, the knee is the joint between the femur and tibia (the fibula really isn't contacting the joint directly, but most assume so since it's very close), and the elbow is the joint between the humerus and ulna and radius. While the humerus and femur are similar in appearance (you can distinguish them by details and size, but an untrained eye could easily confuse them), the tibia and ulna are much more distinct in shape.

Again, people also do often confuse the ankles and wrists of quadripeds with knees because of their location, but this is not unique to any single quadriped, so I don't think it would be sufficient to solve the question.

verty said:
Q: A man is in a room with no windows, no door, no holes in the ceiling and no trapdoors in the floor. How does he escape the room?

When I have heard this previously, it included the addition of a stool or other piece of furniture, such as a chair.

If not, the same answer can be arrived at assuming the man is wearing clothes. In which case, he tears his shirt in half.

He then has two halves.

What do two halves make?

An alternative answer, assuming the presence of a stool, would be to break off one of the legs of the stool, and then "knock himself out".

Perhaps one could do this with his fists as well :)

Q: A man is in a room with no windows, no door, no holes in the ceiling and no trapdoors in the floor. How does he escape the room?

If he was a mathematician he could define himself to be on the outside.

As far as the bread thing goes, you get 0 slices. When you make the first cut, the bread is not whole anymore.

k

kenewbie said:

If he was a mathematician he could define himself to be on the outside.

As far as the bread thing goes, you get 0 slices. When you make the first cut, the bread is not whole anymore.

k
Yes, but you're now holding one slice.

The answer is 1.

powergirl said:
Let me ask the Ist Quest:'n.
"1) How much soil is there in a hole measuring one metre by one metre by one metre?"

if it is a hole it contains nothing, it could potentially hold the exact quantity that was removed.

powergirl said:
:::>A man dressed all in black is walking down a country lane. Suddenly a large black car without any lights on comes round the corner and screeches to a halt.

How did the driver know there was a man in the road?

either it was day time or he stopped after running him down

throng said:
if it is a hole it contains nothing, it could potentially hold the exact quantity that was removed.
Well, you know the answer but you've over-thought it.

The question is 'how much soil is there in the hole?'. To which the answer, of course, is 'none'.

DaveC426913 said:
Yes, but you're now holding one slice.

The answer is 1.

Yeah, you are right. The question asked for "slices of 1.5 cm each", and I figured you start by cutting the bread in equal halfs for some reason. Of course, if you make the first cut 1.5 cm from one end, you get a slice of the correct width.

Oh, no wait. I guess one could argue that once you penetrate the crust of the bread, it is not whole anymore, and thus the first slice does not count either :)

k

kenewbie said:
Oh, no wait. I guess one could argue that once you penetrate the crust of the bread, it is not whole anymore, and thus the first slice does not count either :)
No. An object with a cut in it is still a single object. The whole is not divided until there is more than one piece.

Maybe I don't get this but haven't all the questions here already been answered around page 4 or 5? So why do people keep posting the same answer? << You could see that as a sociological tricky question, although I'm afraid I don't have an answer for it.

xtd said:
Maybe I don't get this but haven't all the questions here already been answered around page 4 or 5? So why do people keep posting the same answer? << You could see that as a sociological tricky question, although I'm afraid I don't have an answer for it.
To some, the actual answer is less interesting than the logic by which you arrived at it.

There's some joke somewhere about a mathematician who saw a chair or something on fire, but, having spied the bucket of water next to it, did not use it to put the fire out. His logic was that, since he'd solved the problem logically, physically demonstrating the solution was redundant.

...or something like that...

:biggrin:

powergirl said:
NOt right;
Can anyone answer this?
2) A murderer is condemned to death. He has to choose between three rooms: The first is full of raging fires, the second is full of assassins with loaded guns, and the third is full of lions that haven't eaten in 3 years. Which room is safest for him?

THE ANSWER IS:

The third room because lions can't live three years without eating anything... so i might be dead so its safe...:cool:

zidiane said:
truth guy;which door are you gaurding? "the one behind me."
liar guy;which door are you gaurding? "the one behind that guy right there"

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you asked the guards that question then these could also be outcomes:

1) You ask the guard that only speaks the truth which door his is guarding. The guard will reply, "The door to freedom," or an equally useless answer.
2) You ask the guard that only speaks lies. The guard will reply, "The door to freedom," or something similar.

Is it just me or am I finding a flaw in the logic here?

powergirl said:
A prisoner is in jail. There are two doors, one leads to freedom one leads to death. There is a guard at each door. One guard always tells the truth, the other always tells lies. The prisoner is allowed one question to either of the guards.
What is the question that will take him to freedom.?

he would ask either one (it doesn't matter which) what door the other gaurd would say. the gaurd would answer and then he would choose the oposite of what the answer to the question was... this would work because let's say guard A tells the truth and gaurd B lies. if he asked guard A what guard B would say, then Guard A would be telling the truth about the other lieing about which one leads to freedom. so let's say door P led to freedom and door Q led to death. Guard A would say that guard B would say that door Q leads to freedom. so he would take door P
if he asked guard B what guard A would say then guard B would be lieing about guard A elling the truth, and would say that guard A would say that door Q leads to freedom, even though guard A wouldn't say that.
either way he would take door P to freedom

btw... I am only 13 ^.^

can you guys answer this question?

what appears once in a minute, twice in a week, and once in a year?

~*Tear*~ said:
can you guys answer this question?

what appears once in a minute, twice in a week, and once in a year?
And four times in "a jolly good fellow"
e

Last edited:

a bus conductor accidentally knocked down and killed 50 people while driving his bus in a drunken state.
The judge then sentenced him to death penalty by the electric chair.

On his execution date, he requested to have bananas before he died, and so the judge passed him a bundle of fresh bananas. Surprisingly the electric chair did not kill him.

So the next day, he was tried for execution again, and the same, he requested an apple, so the judge gave him a ripe apple. Amazingly, he survived.

Finally, the judge let him go.

Question: how did he survive?

unscientific said:
a bus conductor accidentally knocked down and killed 50 people while driving his bus in a drunken state.

On his execution date, he requested to have bananas before he died, and so the judge passed him a bundle of fresh bananas. Surprisingly the electric chair did not kill him.

So the next day, he was tried for execution again, and the same, he requested an apple, so the judge gave him a ripe apple. Amazingly, he survived.

"the judge passed him a bundle of fresh bananas. Surprisingly the electric chair did not kill him."
"the judge gave him a ripe apple. Amazingly, he survived."

Because handling fruit is not lethal to judges.

wrong answer.

What is it?

The manufacturer doesn't want it, the buyer doesn't use it and the user doesn't see it.

coffin

Art said:
What is it?

The manufacturer doesn't want it, the buyer doesn't use it and the user doesn't see it.

"fiscal stimuli"

There's no user, though.

unscientific said:

Need a hint.
My first suspicion is that the bananas and apple are red herrings.