Can a preference relation be complete but not transitive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of completeness and transitivity in a set of preferences. It is explained that a set can be transitive but incomplete, and a table is provided as an example. The set is also shown to be transitive in this case. The question then arises if a set can be complete but intransitive, and it is clarified that defining relationships between all elements should result in transitivity. The conversation is then concluded with the clarification that there is no such thing as preference in this context.
slakedlime

Homework Statement

This is not a homework problem, but a topic in a microeconomics book that I am unclear about.

My book argues that the set X = {a, b, c, d} of preferences can be (i) transitive but (ii) incomplete.

Is it possible for a similar set of preferences to be (i) complete but (ii) intransitive, depending on how we define the relations between the elements? My book does not go into this, but I am curious, and any explanation would be much appreciated.

Homework Equations

(i) Completeness axiom: For every pair x, y [itex]\in[/itex] X, either x is weakly preferred to y, y is weakly preferred to x, or both (that is, we are indifferent between x and y).

(ii) Transitivity axiom: For every triple x, y, z [itex]\in[/itex] X, if x is weakly preferred to y and y is weakly preferred to z, then x is weakly preferred to z.

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the set X = {a, b, c, d} can be transitive but incomplete. My book explains this with a table (picture attached; my book says that this is only one way of proving that the set X can be transitive but incomplete, and that there are many other ways); the incompleteness arises because we have not defined a relationship between c and d, making them incomparable.

However, the set is transitive because (i) a is weakly preferred to b, and b is weakly preferred to c; (ii) a is weakly preferred to b, and b is weakly preferred to d; (iii) a is weakly preferred to c and a is also weakly preferred to d.

I don't understand how it is possible for a set to be complete but intransitive. If we have defined relationships between all the elements such that any two pairs are comparable, doesn't transitivity automatically follow? Is my understanding correct?

Attachments

• trans.png
    trans.png
    9.6 KB · Views: 832
Physics news on Phys.org
No worries, I have figured this problem out. Please close this thread.

No such thing as prefer or not, doesn't matter.

no worries no matter what

1. What is a preference relation?

A preference relation is a mathematical concept that represents an individual's ranking or ordering of a set of items or choices. It is used to analyze decision-making processes and is an important tool in economics and social sciences.

2. What does it mean for a preference relation to be complete?

A preference relation is complete if an individual is able to compare and rank all items in a set. This means that for any two items, the individual is able to state which one is preferred or if they are equally preferred.

3. How is transitivity defined in relation to preference relations?

Transitivity is a property of a preference relation that states that if item A is preferred to item B and item B is preferred to item C, then item A must also be preferred to item C. In other words, if A > B and B > C, then A > C.

4. Can a preference relation be complete but not transitive?

Yes, it is possible for a preference relation to be complete but not transitive. This means that while an individual is able to rank all items, their rankings may not always follow the transitivity property. In other words, there may be instances where A > B and B > C, but A is not preferred to C.

5. What are some real-life examples of complete but not transitive preference relations?

One example could be an individual's preferences for different types of food. They may have a complete ranking of their favorite foods, but their preferences may not always follow the transitivity property. For instance, they may prefer pizza over salad, and salad over sushi, but still prefer sushi over pizza in certain situations. This violates transitivity but the preference relation is still complete. Another example could be an individual's preferences for different modes of transportation, such as preferring walking over driving, and driving over taking the bus, but still preferring taking the bus over walking in certain circumstances.