Can a smartphone transmit/receive 125KHz?

As part of my final project in my EE studies I was thinking if it is possible to read 125KHz RFID tags with a smartphone. I know it is possible with NFC (13.56MHz) and I was thinking about implementing a 125KHz reader. Is there any antenna in a regular smartphone that can deal with these low frequencies? I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
Thanks! :smile:

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
As part of my final project in my EE studies I was thinking if it is possible to read 125KHz RFID tags with a smartphone. I know it is possible with NFC (13.56MHz) and I was thinking about implementing a 125KHz reader. Is there any antenna in a regular smartphone that can deal with these low frequencies? I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
Thanks! :smile:
What have you found with your Google searches so far?

Baluncore
Science Advisor
I'm not talking about rather it is possible to use it for this purpose, but just to know if the required hardware exists.
It might, but I would not expect a phone to work below 10MHz. There will be a big difference between the small antenna needed on a UHF mobile phone and the wire loop antenna that would be needed for a 125kHz RFID tag.

Swake
There is no antenna in any common smartphone capable of that. On the other hand you could connect a cheap external 125kHz RFID reader/writer to the USB plug of an android phone.