Can a Subsea Lifting Bag With CO2 Rise to the Surface?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
cps.13
Messages
40
Reaction score
1
This may sounds like a stupid question but...

If you were to use a subsea lifting bag filled with O2 it would rise to the surface.

Would the same happen with CO2? I assume the density of CO2 is different so the amount required would be more or less than O2, but it is still less dense than water so should rise?

Thanks

Edit:

After looking on google I can see that CO2 is 1.824 Kg/m3 whereas O2 is 1.331 Kg/m3. So you would therefore need 37% more CO2 to lift the same mass using O2.

Is that correct?

Thanks
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Xilus
Physics news on Phys.org
cps.13 said:
After looking on google I can see that CO2 is 1.824 Kg/m3 whereas O2 is 1.331 Kg/m3. So you would therefore need 37% more CO2 to lift the same mass using O2.

Is that correct?
No, it is not correct.
What is the density of water and how does that figure in?
 
I think we just have to consider that the O2 has mass. and the CO2 has mass. and we have to add that in. when its in that giant balloon. we can consider it to be its own object with a certian mass and a certian size (and extremely low mass). so let's just use 1m^3 volume.

I think the force from the water is going to be 1000 times greater than the weight of the O2 or CO2.
so the type of gas (while under water) has a really small effect.