Can a Toilet Plunger Break Glass?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter crackerjack
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Glass Rubber
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
crackerjack
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It's been a while since I've been in science class and I was wondering if this was theoretically possible. It's so specific because I'm writing a story using this scenario and now am wondering if it's completely unrealistic... What are your thoughts?

Here's the question: Let's say you have a heavy duty toilet plunger. And let's say you feel like hurling it, like a baseball bat, into a large glass mirror. You're a strong person, so it's going to be a strong swing. And as I said, it's a heavy duty toilet plunger. Now would it break the glass or would the rubber of the plunger just absorb the impact?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It can break the glass if the force is strong enough.