Can a Voltage Multiplier and Mechanical Commutator Enhance Motor Performance?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
kmarinas86
Messages
974
Reaction score
1
I saw the following video:



Lecture Series on Electronics For Analog Signal Processing I by Prof.K.Radhakrishna Rao, Department of Electrical Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Category: Education
Tags:
Voltage Multiplier

So I was wondering, is it possible that attaching a pack of batteries coupled with a motor with a mechanical commutator (for a DC electric motor) and a voltage multiplier allow me to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity provided that the system has a mechanical commutation?

Say for example I have the following:

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\      |
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|

Would that work?

Is the following better?

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\       
 |     /  \      
 -    /    \     
BAT D^O    DVO   
 +  /        \   
 | /          \  
 |/______|CAP|_\
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org


kmarinas86 said:
I saw the following video:



Lecture Series on Electronics For Analog Signal Processing I by Prof.K.Radhakrishna Rao, Department of Electrical Engineering,IIT Madras. For more details on NPTEL visit http://nptel.iitm.ac.in
Category: Education
Tags:
Voltage Multiplier

So I was wondering, is it possible that attaching a pack of batteries coupled with a motor with a mechanical commutator (for a DC electric motor) and a voltage multiplier allow me to effectively increase the voltage of the VDC output in opposite polarity provided that the system has a mechanical commutation?

Say for example I have the following:

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\      |
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|

Would that work?

Is the following better?

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|_______|
 |      /\       
 |     /  \      
 -    /    \     
BAT D^O    DVO   
 +  /        \   
 | /          \  
 |/______|CAP|_\


What about:

Code:
 __-INDUCTOR+__COMMUTATOR ON STEEL SHAFT
 |              |
 |              |
 |__|CAP|       |
 |      /\      |       
 |     /  \     |
 -    /    \    |
BAT D^O    DVO  |
 +  /        \  |
 | /          \ |
 |/______|CAP|_\|
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Pumblechook said:
I don't follow what you are trying to do?

It's for a motor.

To describe the motor, it has a high L/R time constant and is generally high torque and low rpm. The armature (electromagnet) sits, while the rotor (magnet) interacts with the electromagnet's changing field.

In particular, I am looking to increase the no-load rpm using this system of capacitors and diodes. Also, increasing the voltage should allow the current to rise faster as well.

But to answer my question, you'll have to address what you can tell from the circuit diagrams above.