Can all possible periodic arrangements of lattices be arranged as a Bravais lattice just by taking a different motif?

In summary: Essentially, it refers to the regular, repeating pattern of lattice points in a crystal structure. This is important because it helps us understand the symmetry and properties of crystals. There are only 5 Bravais lattices in 2D and 14 in 3D because these are the only unique and distinct ways in which lattice points can be arranged in a periodic manner. It may seem complicated, but understanding Bravais lattices is crucial in understanding the structure of crystals.
Slimy0233
or Are all naturally occurring crystals with periodic arrangement of lattices Bravais lattices?

From two days, I have been trying to understand Bravais lattices and what it's importance is and after a lot of research, I came to know that they are a periodic arrangement of lattice points with translational symmetry. Now, I want to write notes and I don't know why there are only 5 Bravais lattices in 2d and 14 in 3d (like WHY?) and I am of the believe that the actual derivation is pretty hard and unnecessary. Now, I have one doubt, Can all possible periodic arrangements of lattices be arranged as a Bravais lattice?

Because if they are, I can finally stop looking for answer and write, it has been observed that all possible periodic lattice arrangements can be expressed as Bravais lattices and close the chapter on this on and move on to the next topic.

Also, I believe this 10 year answer is right, but I just wanted to ask you all with the context I am in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What the heck is a periodic arrangement of lattices?
Crystals are a periodic repetition of some motiv. Due to periodicity, there is some flexibility in defining where one motiv ends and the next one begins, hence the different types of elementary cells. However, if you chose one point of the motiv and take all vectors to the translationally equivalent points in other motivs, these vectors define the lattice (uniquely). There is only one lattice for a crystal and this lattice will belong to 1 of the 14 Bravais types.

Likes Slimy0233 and hutchphd
DrDu said:
What the heck is a periodic arrangement of lattices?
Crystals are a periodic repetition of some motiv. Due to periodicity, there is some flexibility in defining where one motiv ends and the next one begins, hence the different types of elementary cells. However, if you chose one point of the motiv and take all vectors to the translationally equivalent points in other motivs, these vectors define the lattice (uniquely). There is only one lattice for a crystal and this lattice will belong to 1 of the 14 Bravais types.
> What the heck is a periodic arrangement of lattices?

I am sorry, I meant, periodic arrangement of lattice points.

1. What is a Bravais lattice?

A Bravais lattice is a mathematical concept used to describe the periodic arrangement of atoms or molecules in a crystal. It is characterized by a set of translation vectors that define the repeating unit of the lattice.

2. What is a motif in relation to Bravais lattices?

A motif is a group of atoms or molecules that occupy a specific position within the unit cell of a Bravais lattice. It is used to describe the arrangement of the repeating unit within the lattice.

3. Can all possible periodic arrangements be arranged as a Bravais lattice?

No, not all possible periodic arrangements can be arranged as a Bravais lattice. Bravais lattices are limited to specific symmetries and arrangements, and not all possible arrangements can be described by these symmetries.

4. Can a different motif be used to create a Bravais lattice?

Yes, a different motif can be used to create a Bravais lattice as long as it follows the same symmetry and arrangement rules as the original motif. This will result in a different unit cell, but the overall lattice will still have the same periodic arrangement.

5. Why is the concept of Bravais lattices important in crystallography?

The concept of Bravais lattices is important in crystallography because it allows for the systematic description and classification of crystal structures. It also helps to predict the physical and chemical properties of crystals based on their lattice symmetry and arrangement.