Can an Object Have Acceleration at Zero Velocity?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the velocity and acceleration of an object thrown upwards and reaching its maximum height. The equations for kinematics are mentioned and the person initially answered that the velocity and acceleration were both zero, but later realized that gravity is a constant influence and there is a rate of acceleration of -9.8 m/s. The conversation also touches on the concept of a resting object not having acceleration due to an opposing force from the ground.
Diego Fernandez

Homework Statement

I'm taking my first basic physics course and I came across this simple question (which I got the wrong answer apparently). The question was this: what is the velocity and acceleration of an object which has reached it's maximum height after being thrown directly upwards?

Homework Equations

[/B]
Well, you don't really need equations for this, unless you want to mathematically prove your answer. In that case:

Acceleration = (Velocity - Initial Velocity) / Time
Time = Distance / Average Velocity
Velocity = Initial Velocity + Acceleration(Time)
Distance = Initial Position + Average Velocity(Time)

These are very basic Kinematic equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I answered was that the velocity is 0 (which was correct) and that the acceleration was also 0 (which was incorrect). I went by the test a little too fast and realized my answer was most likely wrong after comparing answers with other students. The mistake I made was assuming that since it was at 0 velocity, there couldn't possibly be any acceleration whatsoever, but I did not take into account that acceleration = gravity. Since gravity is always influencing an object, there must be a rate of acceleration (-9,8 m/s). But my question is how could there possibly be an acceleration for an object which has a velocity of 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
The velocity is zero only at one instant of time. A second earlier it was positive (the ball was moving upward), and, a second later, it was negative (the ball was moving downward). So the velocity was decreasing the whole 2 seconds of time.

P.S., You chose a really great avatar. I thought that the Tyson Cosmos series was wonderful, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
The velocity is zero only at one instant of time. A second earlier it was positive (the ball was moving upward), and, a second later, it was negative (the ball was moving downward). So the velocity was decreasing the whole 2 seconds of time.

P.S., You chose a really great avatar. I thought that the Tyson Cosmos series was wonderful, and I enjoyed it immensely.

Chet

I see. So gravity is a constant influence on the movement of objects, regardless of their velocity. Then could you say that an object lying on the floor with no movement also has an acceleration? Since gravity is applying a downward force on it. But my question has been answered, thank you very much.

P.S., Haha thanks, I loved the show more than any other I've ever watched.

Diego Fernandez said:
Then could you say that an object lying on the floor with no movement also has an acceleration? Since gravity is applying a downward force on it.

No. If the object is lying on the floor, there is another force acting on it besides gravity. It is the upward force of the floor on the object. This upward force cancels the downward force of gravity, so the object is not accelerating.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. If the object is lying on the floor, there is another force acting on it besides gravity. It is the upward force of the floor on the object. This upward force cancels the downward force of gravity, so the object is not accelerating.

Now I understand. Thank you for your help!

Related to Can an Object Have Acceleration at Zero Velocity?

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It deals with concepts such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a given amount of time, while velocity is a measure of both an object's speed and direction of motion.

3. What is displacement?

Displacement is the distance and direction of an object's change in position from its starting point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

4. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took for that change to occur. It is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared.

5. What is the difference between average and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object over a given time period, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. Average velocity is calculated by dividing displacement by time, while instantaneous velocity is calculated by taking the derivative of an object's position function with respect to time.