Can anyone help me make the connection here

• Thread starter rayrey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary: This gives \frac{d \tilde{F}}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial q}\frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial p}\frac{dp}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t}.
rayrey
if F is any function and H is the hamiltonian, then the Poisson Bracket of F and H, is given by:

[F,H] = dF/dt - [tex]\partial[/tex]F/[tex]\partial[/tex]t

Can someone show me how the right side of this equation comes about?
Also how can the normal derivative of F w.r.t t be different from the partial of F w.r.t t?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, where F is any function of coordinates and momenta (i.e. F=F(t,q,p), where the position and momentum depend upon time) the total derivative of F with respect to time will be [tex]\frac{dF}{dt}=\frac{\partial f}{\partial t}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial q}\frac{d q}{dt}+\frac{\partial F}{\partial p}\frac{dp}{dt}[/tex].

Now, use the Hamilton-Jacobi equations, to get the equation in terms of H, and use the definition of the Poisson Bracket of H and F to get the equation in the required form.

rayrey said:
Also how can the normal derivative of F w.r.t t be different from the partial of F w.r.t t?

This is a standard abuse of notation.

Suppose, for example, [itex]F = F \left( q, p, t \right)[/itex] ([itex]F:\mathbb{R}^3 \leftarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]), and [itex]q = q \left( t \right)[/itex] and [itex]p = p \left( t \right)[/itex] (i.e., each is a map from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]).

Define a new function [tex]\tilde{F} \left( t \right) = F\left( q\left(t) , p\left(t)\right), t \right)[/tex] (another map from [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex]) by composition of functions. The multivariable chain rule then gives

[tex]
\frac{d \tilde{F}}{dt} = \frac{\partial F}{\partial q} \frac{dq}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial p} \frac{dp}{dt} + \frac{\partial F}{\partial t}.
[/tex]

Even though [itex]F[/itex] and [tex]\tilde{F}[/tex] are different functions, as they have different domains, it is standard to omit the twiddle.

Last edited:

1. What does "making the connection" refer to in this context?

In science, "making the connection" typically refers to finding a relationship or correlation between two or more variables or concepts.

2. How can I go about making the connection between different pieces of information or data?

One way to make connections between information or data is to look for patterns, similarities, or differences between them. This can involve analyzing data visually or using statistical methods to determine the strength of a relationship.

3. Are there any specific techniques or tools that can help with making connections in scientific research?

Yes, there are several techniques and tools that can aid in making connections in scientific research. These include data visualization software, statistical analysis programs, and literature review methods.

4. How important is making connections in scientific research?

Making connections is crucial in scientific research as it allows researchers to draw meaningful conclusions and make new discoveries. By establishing relationships between different variables or concepts, scientists can better understand complex phenomena and advance their fields of study.

5. What can I do if I am having difficulty making connections in my research?

If you are struggling to make connections in your research, it may be helpful to consult with other scientists in your field or seek guidance from a mentor. Additionally, taking a step back and approaching the problem from a different angle may also lead to new insights and connections.