Can anyone help with peak summation?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to approximate the area of a peak by summing the recorded peak intensities. There is a confusion on whether this method truly captures the area or just the magnitude of the sum. It is mentioned that integration involves taking into account the mesh size, but this might not be relevant if the goal is to find the relative area of the peak. A possible solution is to use the ratio of peak area to total area, which eliminates the need for considering mesh size.
physical101
Hi there I have read that the area of a peak can be approximated by summing the recorded peak intensities. I can't see how this works?
If you add all the peak intensities together is not just the magnitude of their sum and not the area of the surface the peak overlays?
Someone told me that integration is just a summation of the peak intensities but is it not a summation of the peak areas at an really small interval?
Please help

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I suppose you are talking about http://mathworld.wolfram.com/RiemannSum.html" when evaluating the area. Then you are right, you have to take into account the mesh size [tex]\Delta x[/tex].

Could it be that your mesh size equals 1? Or maybe your are only interested in the relative area of your peak? Because then if you write down the ratio

ratio = peak_Area / total_Area

the mesh size cancels and it is sufficient to add the peak intensitities.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is peak summation and why is it important in scientific research?

Peak summation is the process of combining or summing up multiple peaks in a chromatography or spectroscopy analysis to get a better representation of a sample's composition. It is important in scientific research because it allows for more accurate and precise data analysis, especially when dealing with complex mixtures.

2. How do you determine the appropriate peak summation technique to use?

The appropriate peak summation technique depends on the type of data being analyzed and the instrument used. It is important to consult the instrument's manual and consult with experts in the field to determine the best technique for your specific analysis.

3. Can peak summation be used for all types of peaks in a chromatography or spectroscopy analysis?

No, peak summation should only be used for peaks that overlap or are too close to accurately measure individually. For well-separated peaks, individual integration should be used.

4. Are there any potential errors or limitations associated with peak summation?

Yes, there are potential errors or limitations associated with peak summation. These can include errors in peak identification, integration, and baseline correction. It is important to carefully select and validate the peak summation technique to minimize these errors.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of peak summation in my analysis?

To improve the accuracy of peak summation, it is important to ensure proper instrument calibration and to use appropriate data processing and analysis techniques. It is also crucial to thoroughly understand the underlying principles and assumptions of peak summation and to carefully validate the results through comparison with other techniques or standards.