Can anyone help with this integral?

• Thread starter ricardop
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: Bivariate one, and then one can obtain a new and more interesting results :)In summary, a closed form solution for the integral \int_0^1e^{ax^2}erf(bx)dx does not exist and it is very likely that there is no closed form solution. The best that can be done is by using series. Various references including Gradshteyn, Abramowitz, Prudnikov, Mathematica, and Maple do not provide a solution. However, a function can be defined to represent the integral and its properties can be used to obtain a simplified answer. Another possibility is to use the "Cumulative Bivariate Normal Probability Function" and its properties to obtain
ricardop
Hello
I need to evaluate this integral:

[tex]\int_0^1e^{ax^2}erf(bx)dx[/tex]

where "erf" is the error function:[itex]erf(x)=\frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x\exp(-t^2)dt[/itex].
I can't find this integral in Gradshteyn, Abramowitz, Prudnikov, etc.
Neither Mathematica nor Maple do this integral (definite or indefinite).
The best I can do is by series...
Can anyone help with this integral?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ricardop said:
I can't find this integral in Gradshteyn, Abramowitz, Prudnikov, etc.
Neither Mathematica nor Maple do this integral (definite or indefinite).

So it is very likely that there is no closed form solution. So what kind of an answer would you like then?

If a happens to be equal b^2, then Mathematica gives the answer

[tex]
\frac{b}{\sqrt{\pi}}\operatorname{HypergeometricPFQ}[\{1,1\},\{\frac{3}{2},2\},b^2]
[/tex]

I'm looking for a closed form... with a not necessarily equal b.

Last edited:
Pere Callahan said:
If a happens to be equal b^2, then Mathematica gives the answer

[tex]
\frac{b}{\sqrt{\pi}}\operatorname{HypergeometricPFQ}[\{1,1\},\{\frac{3}{2},2\},b^2]
[/tex]

Yes, I knew it.
This is in Prudnikov tables.
But a not necessarily equal b.
Thanks

Last edited:
CompuChip said:
So it is very likely that there is no closed form solution. So what kind of an answer would you like then?

I'm looking for a closed form.
Thanks

So if you checked several references an none of them gives one, maybe it doesn't exist :)
You can define it, though.
RicardoP's function
[tex]\mathcal P(a, b) :=
\int_0^1e^{ax^2} \operatorname{erf}(bx)dx
[/tex]
Then the closed form solution is
[tex]\mathcal P(a, b)[/tex]

Last edited:
You may be able to do a change of variables to make the limits from 0 to infinity, then try some sort of complex contour integral. I haven't tried this yet but its worth a shot.

maze said:
You may be able to do a change of variables to make the limits from 0 to infinity, then try some sort of complex contour integral. I haven't tried this yet but its worth a shot.

I can change x=1/y, and the interval goes from 1 to \infty, but not from 0 to \infty, or -\infty to \infty.

I tryed several changes of variable...
I changed the order of integration (this is a double integral).
I tryed complex contour integral too, but without sucess.

Thanks!

CompuChip said:
So if you checked several references an none of them gives one, maybe it doesn't exist :)

This integral is very alike the integrals in the article:
"Integration of a Class of Transcendental Liouvillian Functions with Error-Functions, Part II."
Paul H. Knowles, J. Symb. Comp. 16 (1993) 227.
http://dx.doi.org/10.1006/jsco.1993.1042"
I'm working on it...

The "Cumulative Bivariate Normal Probability Function" is defined by:
[tex]L(h,k,\rho)=\int_h^\infty dx\int_k^\infty dy\;g(x,y,\rho)[/tex]
where
[tex]g(x,y,\rho)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1-\rho^2}}Z(x)Z\left(\frac{y-\rho x}{\sqrt{1-\rho^2}}\right)[/tex]
is the "Bivariate Normal Probability Function" and
[tex]Z(x)=\frac{\exp(\frac{-x^2}{2})}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]
is the "Normal Probability Function", in Abramowitz & Stegun's notation.

With these definitions we have the answer
[tex]\int_0^1 dx\exp(-ax^2)\mathrm{erf}(bx)=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}\mathrm{erf}(\sqrt{a})-\frac{1}{\sqrt{a\pi}}\arctan\left(\frac{\sqrt{a}}{b}\right)+2\sqrt{\frac{\pi}{a}}L\left(\sqrt{2a},0,\frac{-b}{\sqrt{a+b^2}}\right)[/tex]

I want to thank Axel for the hint
http://groups.google.com.au/group/sci.math.symbolic/browse_thread/thread/ddbbb1f3ab27b3c4"

Is this any more useful than using RicardoP's function as suggested by CompuChip?
Granted, you can now make use of some known properties of this "Cumulative Bivariate Normal Probability Function"...

Pere Callahan said:
Is this any more useful than using RicardoP's function as suggested by CompuChip?
Granted, you can now make use of some known properties of this "Cumulative Bivariate Normal Probability Function"...

obvious...

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value of a curve or function, and is a fundamental tool in calculus.

2. Why do I need help with an integral?

Integrals can be complex and difficult to solve, especially for functions that are not easily recognizable. Help from others can provide a different perspective and assist with finding a solution.

3. How do I solve an integral?

There are various methods for solving integrals, such as using substitution, integration by parts, or using trigonometric identities. It is important to understand the fundamental rules and techniques for integration before attempting to solve an integral.

4. Can anyone solve any integral?

While many integrals can be solved using standard techniques, there are some integrals that are considered unsolvable or require advanced mathematical knowledge to solve. It is important to seek help or consult a professional if you are struggling with a particularly difficult integral.

5. Can I use a calculator or software to solve an integral?

Yes, there are many online calculators and software programs that can solve integrals. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of integration and the steps involved in solving an integral to ensure accurate results.