Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone read memory chips labels?

1. May 6, 2008 #1
    I have bought this memory for my laptop that does not work, the bios beeps.

It appears the online shop has sent the wrong type. Can someone tell me the characteristics of this memory? It's got 8 pairs of ICs, the first one of each pair is labeled:

PC312
    -6A
    5HN2 (printed sideways)

and the 2nd is labeled the same but it says this sideways instead:

(same)
    57JV (printed sideways)

There is also a sticker on the board that says:

PC2700 DDR SDRAM
    128Mx64 1GB
    1GBSJURVUNBA

What is the voltage, parity, etc of this memory?

PS. Laptop is an Acer Ferrari 4005wlmi.

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"I have bought this memory for my laptop that does not work, the bios beeps"

Have you tried reseating the boards?

4. May 8, 2008 #3
    Yes. And done it once again now. Here's what the labels look like:

Image0.jpg Image2.jpg

Here's the Crucial site that says what memory the computer requires (it's an Acer Ferrari 4005wlmi ie 4000 series):

http://www.crucial.com/uk/promo/index.aspx?prog=desktop

The Service Manual says just "supporting PC2700, PC2100, or PC1600 DDR SDRAM".

Here's the one I ordered (2 of them), I believe it is either mis-described or the wrong one was sent:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=290223484780&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=019

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  5. May 8, 2008 #4

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. May 9, 2008 #5
    Good idea, done that now and one of them works up to a point, it produces a blue screen during windows start-up, whereas the other does not boot at all.

So I definitely have been sent at least one faulty memory card, probably two. Thanks, sending them back.

7. May 11, 2008 #6
    It's an ebay scam, the seller is trying to extort positive feedback before sending refund.

Has anyone had troubles with ebay crooks? Should I file a paypal dispute? Heard paypal disputes are problematic, you end up losing your account. Because the seller starts making up lies and paypal may end up concluding you are the crook.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?