1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can anyone recommend a good geometry book?

1. Dec 14, 2011 #1
    Can anyone recommend a good geometry book?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2011 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Re: Books

Algebraic geometry by Hartshorne.

If you want a better answer then you need to specify more. What kind of geometry?? Why do you need it?? What do you know already??

4. Dec 14, 2011 #3

I have never taken a geometry class in my life so I would like to have some sort of knowledge about geometry, and i've heard that geometry is a good subject to have a good understanding in...

5. Dec 14, 2011 #4

As far as "what type of geometry" I am not sure... can you suggest a good place to start?

6. Dec 14, 2011 #5

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

OK, then I got three books for you

1) "Geometry" by Serge Lang. This is essentially a high school geometry book done right. It doesn't bother with two column proofs and other silly things. It treats geometry like it should be treated.

2) "Introduction to Geometry" by Coxeter. Maybe use this as a second book. It's very rich and offers an introduction to many different fields of geometry. It's not an actual textbook though, but more an introduction. Not suitable as first book.

3) "Elements" by Euclid. The very first geometry book and a standard for over 1000's of years. It is a recommended read to everybody: it develops geometry from scratch. However, you must be aware that there are some errors and omissions (for example coordinate geometry).

7. Dec 14, 2011 #6

Thank you. I was also interested in taking my schools math contest next semester. I will be starting second semeste calculus. Do you know any good books that can prepare me for the types of questions math contests have?

8. Dec 15, 2011 #7

eumyang

Homework Helper

Probably with Euclidian Geometry? I've heard good things about the book by Harold Jacobs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook