Can Atoms Be Stretched and Do Rigid Bodies Heat Up Under Force?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Paul Howard A
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 1K views
Paul Howard A
Messages
35
Reaction score
0
From previous threads I understand that perfectly rigid bodies cannot exist.
Two, perhaps, simple questions:

1. Can atoms be stretched or compressed?
2. Does a theoretically rigid/immobile object get warm when a changing forces are applied?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Paul Howard A said:
1. Can atoms be stretched or compressed?
I would say yes for compressed. E.g. a neutron star is a fairly extreme example. I am not sure how you could stretch an atom, but since you can clearly compress it I would guess hat there is a way to stretch it also. I just don’t know what that would be.

Paul Howard A said:
2. Does a theoretically rigid/immobile object get warm when a changing forces are applied?
No. A theoretically rigid object has no internal degrees of freedom. It cannot get warm.
 
Paul Howard A said:
2. Does a theoretically rigid/immobile object get warm when a changing forces are applied?
For the second question, you are asking what theory predicts about the thermodynamic properties of an object that cannot theoretically exist?
 
The example of a neutron star is not made of atoms. Are there other examples of compressible atoms?
I am really asking to determine if an atom might be considered rigid.
 
Paul Howard A said:
The example of a neutron star is not made of atoms.
The compression of the atoms leads to the neutron star. If they were not compressible then it could not be formed.
 
Dale said:
I would say yes for compressed. E.g. a neutron star is a fairly extreme example. I am not sure how you could stretch an atom, but since you can clearly compress it I would guess hat there is a way to stretch it also. I just don’t know what that would be.

I was thinking about the expansion of space.

It is argued that things that are bound by gravitation or the strong nuclear force do not experience and increase in size. However, if such systems are flexible (and gravitationally bound systems clearly are) then, shouldn't the expansion of space within these structures be manifest by a release of energy as these flexible systems respond to the spatial dynamics.
 
And to hopefully conclude my befuddlement:

It is further argued that gravity and the strong nuclear force "overcome" the expansion of space within their systems. If these forces must "overcome" the expansion, then wouldn't their respective forces diminished? Which in a flexible system would translate to movement or work; Which might convert to heat?
 
Paul Howard A said:
I was thinking about the expansion of space. ...
You may want to ask this question in the cosmology section
 
Paul Howard A said:
From previous threads I understand that perfectly rigid bodies cannot exist.
Two, perhaps, simple questions:

1. Can atoms be stretched or compressed?
I think the way you asked this may have led to confusion. I think you really want to know whether a GROUP of atoms comprising a solid can be compressed. The answer is clearly yes.