Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can black holes absorb gravity waves?

1. Jul 3, 2010 #1
    From what I understand, black holes can generate gravity-waves in orbit with each other. But can they absorb them? Since gravity waves travel at the speed of light, I would think that they would not be able to escape BH gravitation. But since they are so massive and powerful, I wonder if they do not have the ability to disrupt a black hole they encounter by virtue of radically distorting the very space of the black hole itself. Could gravity waves be the means through which matter-energy is liberated from black-hole entrapment? Could gravity waves fragment a black hole into multiple pieces, which through mutual gravitation create spatial pockets with low-enough gravity to allow energy and matter to escape, at least for a moment?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Yes, no, no, no and no.

4. Jul 3, 2010 #3
    Well, what would happen, then, if a gravity wave with the strength of a black hole would pass through another black hole of lesser strength?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook