Can bullet penetration be solved with momentum alone, or is friction needed?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
CrazyNeutrino
Messages
99
Reaction score
0
I shoot a bullet of mass m with velocity v against a block of mass M.
Find how far the bullet penetrates the block. This problem turned up in my friends examination and I believe it can't be done without the coefficient of friction. Am I right or can this be calculated using conservation of momentum. If so please show me how.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You're right: Not enough information is given. (Is that the full problem statement?)
 
I think there are some variables missing:
Do you want the depth of the impact, or the length the block travels afterwards?
Is the big block part of a pendulum? (very common problem, needs length of pendulum)
Does the big block slide on a surface? (quite common problem, needs coefficient of friction)
 
Last edited:
A resistance force is needed to solve the problem inside the block.
 
No, I guess he didn't give me the entire question
 
I'm guessing he couldn't do it because he didn't read it properly.
 
Maybe. I need to ask him for his question paper