Can Camera Distance Affect Angle of Foreshortening in Video Measurements?

In summary, the ball is in line with the edge of the grid in the y direction. The grid not in line with the camera - I have been informed - suffers from a angle of fore-shortening when looking at this part when measuring displacement on the video footage.
sarah Jane
Hi.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with the following problem.
I am doing a independent lab at the moment. I am using video footage to measure displacement of a ball. I have cameras set up on the x and y-axis where a ball is in line with the centre of both cameras. I have 1cm grids on the wall behind the ball in both directions. I apply a spin and a wind across the ball and use the video footage to measure the maximum displacement of the ball.
So it goes... →camera → Ball → cm grid.

The ball is in line with the edge of the grid in the y direction. The grid not in line with the camera - I have been informed - suffers from a angle of fore-shortening when looking at this part when measuring displacement on the video footage.
I was wondering if there is a theory for this angle of fore-shortening or the best way to calculate how this will affect my results.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to supply a diagram, but it sounds like it should be a simple trig problem

I have this diagram that I've quickly drawn up. It's rather simple because I don't have a better program other than paint on my current computer.
diagram.png

Focusing on camera 2. When looking at the recording video footage from this camera. The squares (on the cm grid in line with camera 2) on furthest right, appear smaller/shortened due to the camera.

As I said, it seems to be just a simple trig problem

That is what I thought initially but when I used trig it didn't seem to apply correctly.
I want to know how much the cm squares furthest from the camera have reduced due to the cameras effect.
Using trig I didn't find this answer - unless I have calculated it incorrectly.

sarah Jane said:
That is what I thought initially but when I used trig it didn't seem to apply correctly.
I want to know how much the cm squares furthest from the camera have reduced due to the cameras effect.
Using trig I didn't find this answer - unless I have calculated it incorrectly.
Well, I suppose I could sit here all night and just guess at the various ways you might have tried to calculate it but in the interests of brevity, why don't you lay it out. You'll likely need a better diagram.

And now that I look at it, I doubt it's a SIMPLE trig problem, but I think it's solvable.

Can you move the cameras farther away from the grid backgrounds and the ball closer the to the grids?

Attachments

• diagram.png
    diagram.png
    2 KB · Views: 509

1. What is the angle of foreshortening?

The angle of foreshortening is the angle at which an object appears when viewed from a different perspective or angle.

2. How does the angle of foreshortening affect the appearance of an object?

The angle of foreshortening can make an object appear shorter, longer, or distorted depending on the viewing angle. It is an important concept in art, photography, and perspective drawing.

3. What factors influence the angle of foreshortening?

The angle of foreshortening is influenced by the distance and angle between the viewer and the object, as well as the shape and size of the object.

4. How is the angle of foreshortening measured?

The angle of foreshortening is measured by drawing a line from the viewer's eye to the closest point on the object, and then measuring the angle between that line and the line of sight.

5. What is the significance of the angle of foreshortening in scientific studies?

In scientific studies, the angle of foreshortening can affect the accuracy of measurements and observations. It is important to take into account the angle of foreshortening when interpreting data or images in scientific research.