Can Closed Timelike Curves Violate Entropy by Allowing Time Travel?

• B
  • Thread starter TheQuestionGuy14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Time
In summary, the flow of time is a mysterious and non-mysterious concept. While the direction of increasing entropy is not mysterious, the fact that the universe started with low entropy is. Closed Timelike Curves have not been observed, and if they did exist, they could potentially violate entropy. However, there is no scientific evidence to support their existence. The idea of encountering a younger self through time travel raises questions, but the mere coexistence of two versions of oneself does not require duplication. The potential for interaction and causing paradoxes is the main issue with time travel.
TheQuestionGuy14
What makes time flow forward? Why does it never flow backward? Some people say entropy, but if Closed Timelike Curves exist, wouldn't it violate entropy? As you can go back in time to a universe of lower entropy and more order?

Physics news on Phys.org
The flow of time is both mysterious and not very mysterious.

The not-very-mysterious explanation. Let's take a situation in which you have an ice cube sitting in a puddle of water on a hot slab of concrete. As far as the laws of physics, the following two futures are both possible:
  1. The ice cube gets smaller and the puddle of water gets larger and the concrete gets cooler.
  2. The ice cube gets larger and the puddle of water gets smaller and the concrete gets warmer.
So why is it that we only see #1 and not #2? That's actually not mysterious. There are an enormous number of ways you can assign velocities to the water molecules in the ice and puddle. The vast majority of those choices will lead to the ice melting in the future. So it is almost certain that the ice will melt.

So that's not mysterious. But back up a little further, and ask why was there a block of ice sitting on a slab of concrete, in the first place? THAT seems enormously unlikely, as well.

So that's the mysterious and non-mysterious sides of the question. Given that the universe is the way that it is, with hydrogen to burn in stars, and with plants to absorb light to grow, and with creatures to eat the plants, etc., it's very likely that events will unfold in one direction only: the direction of increasing entropy. So that's not mysterious. But the fact that the universe started out having a very low entropy is mysterious. I don't think there is a consensus about why it should be that way, other than: that's just the way it is.

TheQuestionGuy14 said:
Some people say entropy, but if Closed Timelike Curves exist,
Entropy has been observed. Closed timelike curves have not.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Wrichik Basu
When I think about it, if you took a wormhole or timewarp to a previous time, you could encounter the younger you. However, supposedly there can only be one true version of each person so that might be what makes it not possible.

osilmag said:
supposedly there can only be one true version of each person

Where does this "supposition" come from?

I've never been replicated or cloned. And if I went back in time, my younger self would exist along with the present self. That would be quite a conundrum.

osilmag said:
I've never been replicated or cloned. And if I went back in time, my younger self would exist along with the present self. That would be quite a conundrum.
It would, but this is no scientific reason it cannot happen under the assumption that traveling back in time is possible at all. Thus it is not suited to falsify this hypothesis.

osilmag said:
if I went back in time, my younger self would exist along with the present self

Yes, but not because you were replicated or cloned; because your path through spacetime would have a loop in it, so it could return to the same small region of spacetime twice. That doesn't require duplicating anything.

osilmag said:
The mere fact of existing alongside your younger self would not seem to be immediately problematic. The difficulty is with possible interaction. For instance, the temptation to advise your younger self not to make the same mistakes you've made. That is just the "grandfather paradox" posed a different way.

Closed. No more threads on CTC existence please.

Likes davenn

1. Why does time only flow forward?

Time only appears to flow forward because of the way our brains perceive it. Our brains are wired to remember past events and anticipate future events, creating the illusion of time moving forward. In reality, time is simply a measurement of the sequence of events and has no inherent direction.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for why time seems to move faster as we get older?

As we age, our perception of time changes due to our brains processing information at a slower rate. When we are younger, everything is new and exciting, so our brains process information faster, making time seem to move slower. As we get older, our brains become more efficient at processing information, making time seem to move faster.

3. Can time ever go backwards?

According to the laws of physics, time can only move forward. The concept of time travel to the past is still a topic of debate and is currently not possible with our current understanding of physics.

4. How does time flow in different dimensions or universes?

The concept of time in different dimensions or universes is still a topic of debate and is not well understood. Some theories suggest that time may flow differently in these alternate realities, but it is impossible for us to know for sure without further research and evidence.

5. Why is time considered a dimension?

Time is considered a dimension because it is a fundamental aspect of our universe that allows us to measure the sequence of events. It is also closely linked with the three spatial dimensions, as they are all interconnected and influence the fabric of space-time. This is known as the theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein.