Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can earthbound fiber optics replace communication satellites?

1. Apr 24, 2008 #1
    With the threat of satellites being blown up, would fiber optics offer a practical alternative for communications or other applications?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2008 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What threat? And yes.

4. Apr 24, 2008 #3

berkeman

I think Loren is referring to the new US Air Force TV advertisement -- the one where a satellite gets taken out by an ASAT. I'll see if I can find a copy...

5. Apr 24, 2008 #4

berkeman

USAF Space Command: http://www.afspc.af.mil/

Kind of like the "Space" video at this site: http://www.airforce.com/achangingworld/ but with an ASAT shootdown of the satellite to help motivate the recruiting message.

6. Apr 24, 2008 #5
    I thought the biggest threat to satelites was space junk.
    NORAD [north american radar air defence or stg like that?] scan space for space junk and can find anything above 4 incehs. i've heard.
    also that satellites must occasionally {or regularly?] be moved out of the way of space junk which can be quite devastating if it hits: [a particle that almost destroyed a window on the shuttle turned out to be a speck of paint moving at several km/s from some space junk].

fiber optics are great.
    i believe the usa and europe are linked fiber optically!
    i remember 10 yrs ago calling the usa, there was a 4-5 second delay.
    now it just as if the person is next door! and the bandwidth is pretty darn good

i think the big big advantage of satellites is that they allow for mobile communications, so that a tv crew in the middle of pretty much anywhere can set up a live tv feed to pretty much anywhere in the world. also for crazy people sailing across the atlantic, satellite phones are pretty handy! i dont see them being replaced. [at least not untill the next big coronal mass ejection!]

7. Apr 24, 2008 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Fibre optics pretty much replaced satelite 10years ago for most phone/internet links
    In fact one of the big issues in fibre today is that there is nothing like enough satelite capacity if a fibre gies down.

8. Apr 24, 2008 #7
  9. Apr 24, 2008 #8
    Cool map, waht. How can one zoom in more than one power? I'd like to read the fine print.

10. Apr 26, 2008 #9
    Yea me too, I haven't found any close up shots of the map.

You might find this clip also intersting

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  11. Apr 26, 2008 #10
    Good education, that clip. Toward the end, though, I thought the narrator referred to photons as "charges."

12. Apr 26, 2008 #11
    This is a hybrid cable where fiber and electrical wires are bundled together. The electrical wires provide power to the laser repeaters every 50 Km or so.

13. Apr 26, 2008 #12
    Ingenious.

14. Apr 26, 2008 #13

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?