Recommendation for a primer on optical system design/optomechanics?

In summary, "Optical System Design" by Robert E. Fischer is a comprehensive textbook that covers the fundamentals of optical system design and provides practical guidance for designing and analyzing these systems. It is a useful resource for both beginners and experienced professionals in the field.
crashcat
I am looking for a textbook or handbook on optical system design. I would prefer one that actually derives equations rather than just slapping down rules of thumb, although I would take the latter. My problem is that I've done a ton of bench top optic setups, but my skills are kind of capped at putting down mirrors and pinholes.

For instance, I have two fibers with 30 cm of free space between them. Do I need a fiber coupler or other lens on the output fiber and what about the input fiber? If I have a mirror in the path, what is the amount of light lost per diameter/distance? What diameter multimode fiber should I use? How do I ensure the the beam coming out of the multimode fiber has a good shape and isn't changing modes with vibration?

Example 2: if you open up a spectrophotometer there are dozens of components, but all it does is shine a light through the sample and then onto a diffraction grating. What are all those additional components for?

Example 3: I have a 2 mm diameter collimated beam hitting a fiber with a `1 mm high NA GRIN lens, but there's 99.99% losses and nothing gets coupled into the fiber. What's the deal?

Physics news on Phys.org
The best book I have found so far is "Optical System Design" by Robert E. Fischer, which covers the basics of optical system design and goes into more detail about how to design and analyze such systems. It also contains worked examples and exercises to help you develop your skills. It is also useful for those who want to learn more about the physics of optical systems, as well as those who are looking to apply their knowledge in practical applications.

1. What is optical system design?

Optical system design is the process of creating and optimizing optical systems, which are systems that use light to perform a specific function. This can include designing lenses, mirrors, and other components to manipulate and control light in order to achieve a desired outcome.

2. What is optomechanics?

Optomechanics is the study and design of mechanical systems that interact with light. This can include the design of mounts, housings, and other mechanical components that are used to support and align optical components in an optical system.

3. Why is it important to have a good understanding of optical system design and optomechanics?

Having a good understanding of optical system design and optomechanics is important because it allows for the creation of efficient and effective optical systems. It also helps to ensure that the system will perform as intended and meet the desired specifications.

4. What are some key considerations in optical system design?

Some key considerations in optical system design include the selection of appropriate optical components, such as lenses and mirrors, the optimization of the system for the desired application, and the consideration of factors such as aberrations, diffraction, and stray light.

5. Are there any recommended resources for learning about optical system design and optomechanics?

Yes, there are many resources available for learning about optical system design and optomechanics. Some recommended resources include textbooks, online courses, and workshops offered by professional organizations. It can also be helpful to consult with experienced optical engineers and scientists for guidance and advice.