Can either golfer hit a hole in one with this velocity and angle?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
aywoo401
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So I'm having a tough time figuring out this problem.

John and Cory are golfing in the DV golf ball team. They are teeing off a hill 4 feet above the horizon. The hole is located 250 yards from the tee. The hole is 20 feet above the horizon. Cory is stronger than John and hits a velocity of 125 miles per hour, while John hits it at 115 miles per hour. Graph the ball when pheta equals 30 degrees.

Does either player have a chance of hitting a hole in one without rolling or bouncing?
I said "no" but I'm not sure exactly why or how...

What was the maximum height of each ball?

[When a person hits a ball at h feet above the ground, it travels at an angle of pheta with the ground. The intial velocity is in feet per second.]
X gives horizontal distance in feet terms of time.
Y gives vertical distance in feet in terms of time/

X = (v0 cos(theta))t and y = h + (v0 sin(theta))t - 16t^2


These are the parametric equations I've set up:
John: X=(168.6cos30)T; Y= 4+(168.6sin30)T-16T^2
Cory: X=(183.3cos30)T; Y= 4+(183.3sin30)T-16T^2

I graphed both equations but now I'm stuck on what else to do. Any help or hints would be appreciated. :]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For the question of if either of them can hit a hole in one without rolling or bouncing, what do you think the x and y coordinates should be for the ball when it lands? Can you find a theta that will give you these coordinates? It's the same question as, what angle should the ball fly off with so it will hit a hole in one?