1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Velocity (Magnitude and Direction) of a tossed object as it hits something

1. Sep 21, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    John jumps and shoots and makes a basket from the far end of the court, a distance of 27.5 m. The ball is shot at an angle of 41.0 degrees to the horizontal from a height of 1.98 m above the ground with a speed of 17.2 m/s. The basket is 3.00 m off the ground. a. Sketch a y vs. x graph for the basketball. b. What is the velocity of the basketball (magnitude and direction) as it hits the basket? **I've seen people on yahoo answers try to solve something like this is the conservation of energy, I can't use this.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To be honest, I don't even know where to start. I'm lost and any help would be appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You should be able to make a sketch even without any formal physics knowledge. You can draw the floor, John and the basket, and the approximate path the ball takes.

Concerning the other question, what are the initial vertical and horizontal velocities? How do they change with time?

4. Sep 21, 2014 #3
    Sorry, I already got the sketch down I just copy pasted the whole question here. Initial vertical velocity I assume is 17.2 but then again I'm so lost

5. Sep 21, 2014 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That is a very basic question relative to the problem, so it should not be hard to answer this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted