Can Gas Particles Ever Stop Moving?

In summary, the gas particles in a container will eventually stop moving due to collisions and the second law of thermodynamics. This can be observed through the settling of smoke in a plastic bottle, but this is not a perfect analogy as smoke is not a gas.
davgonz90
We know that gas particles move very quickly in random motions in whatever container they are in. My question is: assuming that no gas particles ever exit or enter the container, at what point will the gas particles stop moving? From what I think I understand about the second law of thermodynamics, nothing can have an infinite amount of kinetic energy- not even gas particles, right?

P.S. I know that, according to the KMT, gas particles collide and transfer their energy to each other. But even then, can this energy really be transferred forever? Wouldn't this violate the second law? The question is probably very fundamental, but at the moment, it's torquing my brain. ?:)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I have noticed a stirred up bottle of some gas will eventually have the gas sit tightly on the bottom and it wasn't a perfectly isolated container, it was just a plastic bottle. When you open in pool, the balls in the middle get a punch and then they move around chaotically and eventually stop because of friction. Should the end outcome be any different in the container?

davgonz90 said:
can this energy really be transferred forever?

Yes.

Wouldn't this violate the second law?

No. These are perfectly elastic collisions.

nuuskur said:
I have noticed a stirred up bottle of some gas will eventually have the gas sit tightly

And how you observed the gas inside of the bottle?

on the bottom and it wasn't a perfectly isolated container, it was just a plastic bottle. When you open in pool, the balls in the middle

Huh?

get a punch and then they move around chaotically and eventually stop because of friction. Should the end outcome be any different in the container?

No idea what you are talking about, whatever you posted doesn't make any sense.

Likes PFuser1232
Borek said:
And how you observed the gas inside of the bottle?
Huh?
No idea what you are talking about, whatever you posted doesn't make any sense.
Yes, it doesn't make any sense, I thought the gas particles would behave exactly as the "macroscopic" world would, but it doesn't so I stand corrected, thanks.

The gas was smoke in a plastic bottle, came back a few hours later, the smoke was sitting tightly on the bottom part of the bottle. Although, I would have to disregard that as an analogy, because I can't exactly pinpoint whether smoke is a gas or not.
Sorry about the nonsense.

What you have seen was an aerosol setting down. Nothing to do with the gas.

nuuskur said:
Yes, it doesn't make any sense, I thought the gas particles would behave exactly as the "macroscopic" world would, but it doesn't so I stand corrected, thanks.

The gas was smoke in a plastic bottle, came back a few hours later, the smoke was sitting tightly on the bottom part of the bottle. Although, I would have to disregard that as an analogy, because I can't exactly pinpoint whether smoke is a gas or not.
Sorry about the nonsense.
Smoke is, by definition, suspended solid particles of combustion by-product. So yes they are macroscopic, no they are not gas. If you left it long enough, (or if you were able to extract the gas from the bottle), you would have soot on the bottom.

1. What is the kinetic theory of gases?

The kinetic theory of gases is a scientific theory that explains the behavior of gas particles. It states that gas particles are in constant, random motion and that their motion is directly related to their temperature.

2. Why do gas particles never stop moving?

According to the kinetic theory of gases, gas particles never stop moving because they have kinetic energy. This energy causes them to constantly collide with each other and the walls of their container, resulting in continuous motion.

3. Can gas particles ever stop moving?

No, gas particles cannot stop moving completely. However, they can reach a state of equilibrium where their motion is evenly distributed and there is no net movement.

4. What factors affect the movement of gas particles?

The movement of gas particles is affected by temperature, pressure, and the size and mass of the particles. Higher temperatures and lower pressure result in faster particle movement.

5. How is the movement of gas particles related to temperature?

The movement of gas particles is directly related to temperature. As temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the particles also increases, causing them to move faster and with more force.