1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can I apply for an EE Masters degree with a Computer Science BS?

1. Jul 20, 2008 #1

KCL

I dropped out of an Electrical Engineering major in my old school, and now I'll be studying Computer Science in another school.

Does this pretty much leave me stuck in CS for a Masters? I didn't even finish the basic EE stuff in my old school, like the introduction to circuit analysis stuff and whatever.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

Of course you can apply.

The odds of your acceptance go up (and the amount of remedial material you will need to take) the more EE electives you take (and do well in) at your new school.

4. Jul 20, 2008 #3

KCL

That's the problem - there aren't any EE classes in this school. That's why I'm stuck with CS. For what it's worth it might be possible to get a math minor.

I'm thinking about personally studying physics and taking the GRE for it in a couple of years, when I finish the CS degree. It's not EE but a lot of EE requires physics as far as I know, especially at the Masters level.... right? It's also the closest thing to hardware I can get to. My assumption is that doing that on my own should be an accomplishment in itself.

What's really worrying though is that applying for an EE Masters might not work and a CS Masters might, so I'll be taking a risk with every school I'll apply to. Unless of course I can apply for two different programs and the school lets me know about their acceptance regarding each one, heh. :p

5. Jul 20, 2008 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

I don't think taking a lot of physics will improve your chances for being admitted to a MSEE program with a BSCS degree. If you really want to be a EE, you might seriously consider transferring to a school with a EE program.

6. Jul 21, 2008 #5
    That depends. What area in EE do you want to work on?

7. Jul 22, 2008 #6

KCL

I messed up at my previous school really bad so I don't have any other options right now. =\

I honestly don't know... Maybe computing or communications... What I find really interesting though is nanotechnology, in particular where it meets with EE. Like making transistors on the molecular level and stuff like that.

8. Jul 22, 2008 #7
    Well, then you'll definitely need to learn physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?