Can I be an electrical engineer off of a math degree

In summary, it is possible to become an electrical engineer with just a math degree. However, additional courses in engineering may be necessary to gain the required knowledge and skills. Important math courses for an electrical engineering degree include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. While a strong background in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary. Some important skills for an electrical engineer include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, and good analytical and mathematical skills. With a math degree, job opportunities for electrical engineers can be found in various industries such as power generation, telecommunications, and aerospace. Common job titles for electrical engineers include power systems engineer, control systems engineer, and electronics engineer.
rrbrisbo89
I'm really interested in electrical engineering but I don't feel it's worth getting a degree in it to get involved it it. Is it self-teachable also I'm more interested in math. I'm 26 and was able to do a couple of calculus problems while staying in a hospital also I was able to calculate a bunch of problems for one algebra 2 problem. But I still want to start from the beginning in case I don't know something like associative property or the multiplicative inverse. I want to know beginning things just in case and there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't be an electrical engineer with a math degree.

Likes Aria Darabi
rrbrisbo89 said:
I'm really interested in electrical engineering but I don't feel it's worth getting a degree in it to get involved it it. Is it self-teachable also I'm more interested in math. I'm 26 and was able to do a couple of calculus problems while staying in a hospital also I was able to calculate a bunch of problems for one algebra 2 problem. But I still want to start from the beginning in case I don't know something like associative property or the multiplicative inverse. I want to know beginning things just in case and there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc...

Thanks.

Your question and post makes no rational sense.

You claim to be "interested" in electrical engineering, but feel that it isn't worth getting a degree in (not sure why!). You also are more interested in math (at least, you think you do since you haven't done a lot of mathematics, really).

So why the heck does this question even come up?

And no, you cannot be an engineer with a math degree, no more than you can be surgeon with a math degree.

Zz.

Likes nsaspook
As has already been said, no. A math degree teaches you absolutely nothing about electronics. Do you even understand what electrical engineering IS?

rrbrisbo89 said:

Thanks.

You could do a master degree in EE with a math degree, but by itself it wouldn't leave you with the skills required for an EE job.

rrbrisbo89 said:
there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc
There is no way that you can do either math or EE if you cannot do fractions. You need basic math proficiency before worrying about math vs. EE.

Thread closed.

1. Can I become an electrical engineer with just a math degree?

Yes, it is possible to become an electrical engineer with a math degree. However, you may need to take additional courses in engineering to gain the necessary knowledge and skills.

2. What math courses are important for an electrical engineering degree?

Some important math courses for an electrical engineering degree include calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, and probability and statistics. These courses provide the foundation for understanding the principles and concepts of electrical engineering.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to become an electrical engineer?

While a strong background in physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to become an electrical engineer. Some universities may require physics courses as part of their engineering curriculum, but others may not. However, having a basic understanding of physics principles can be beneficial in understanding electrical concepts.

4. Are there any specific skills or traits that are important for an electrical engineer?

Some important skills for an electrical engineer include critical thinking, problem-solving, and attention to detail. Additionally, having good analytical and mathematical skills is important for understanding and analyzing complex electrical systems.

5. What job opportunities are available for an electrical engineer with a math degree?

Electrical engineers with a math degree can find job opportunities in a variety of industries, including power generation, telecommunications, aerospace, and more. Some common job titles for electrical engineers include power systems engineer, control systems engineer, and electronics engineer.