Can I be an electrical engineer off of a math degree

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
rrbrisbo89
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
I'm really interested in electrical engineering but I don't feel it's worth getting a degree in it to get involved it it. Is it self-teachable also I'm more interested in math. I'm 26 and was able to do a couple of calculus problems while staying in a hospital also I was able to calculate a bunch of problems for one algebra 2 problem. But I still want to start from the beginning in case I don't know something like associative property or the multiplicative inverse. I want to know beginning things just in case and there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc...

Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
No, you can't be an electrical engineer with a math degree.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Aria Darabi
rrbrisbo89 said:
I'm really interested in electrical engineering but I don't feel it's worth getting a degree in it to get involved it it. Is it self-teachable also I'm more interested in math. I'm 26 and was able to do a couple of calculus problems while staying in a hospital also I was able to calculate a bunch of problems for one algebra 2 problem. But I still want to start from the beginning in case I don't know something like associative property or the multiplicative inverse. I want to know beginning things just in case and there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc...

Thanks.

Your question and post makes no rational sense.

You claim to be "interested" in electrical engineering, but feel that it isn't worth getting a degree in (not sure why!). You also are more interested in math (at least, you think you do since you haven't done a lot of mathematics, really).

So why the heck does this question even come up?

And no, you cannot be an engineer with a math degree, no more than you can be surgeon with a math degree.

Zz.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: nsaspook
As has already been said, no. A math degree teaches you absolutely nothing about electronics. Do you even understand what electrical engineering IS?
 
rrbrisbo89 said:
I'm really interested in electrical engineering but I don't feel it's worth getting a degree in it to get involved it it. Is it self-teachable also I'm more interested in math. I'm 26 and was able to do a couple of calculus problems while staying in a hospital also I was able to calculate a bunch of problems for one algebra 2 problem. But I still want to start from the beginning in case I don't know something like associative property or the multiplicative inverse. I want to know beginning things just in case and there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc...

Thanks.

You could do a master degree in EE with a math degree, but by itself it wouldn't leave you with the skills required for an EE job.
 
rrbrisbo89 said:
there's still things I don't know how to do like fractions etc
There is no way that you can do either math or EE if you cannot do fractions. You need basic math proficiency before worrying about math vs. EE.

Thread closed.