Can I deduce the coefficient of static friction with Mass, Velocity and Radius?

In summary, the conversation is about deducing the coefficient of friction for a car on a track using the given information of mass, velocity, and radius. The solution involves using the equation Fs=mv^2/r and the maximum force of friction (Fs(max)) equation to find μ. The logic used is sound, assuming the car cannot go any faster without slipping. If it could go faster, the value for μ would be greater.
Naoki
The Known:
Mass=2000kg
Velocity=50m/s
Radius=1000m

With the given information the lab worksheet I'm working on is asking me to deduce the coefficient of friction so that I can manipulate the data and answer some questions. The problem I have is that I am not entirely sure that this could be done with just the given information. BTW, this is supposed to be a car on a track.

My attempt at the solution is:

Using Fs= mv^2/r I can get 2000*50^2/1000=5000N

so the question I have is can I use this as the following Fs(max) in this equation to figure out the coefficient of static friction?

Fs(max)=μn where n is the normal force or m*g witch in this case would be 2000*9.8=19,600kgs.

If were to attempt that is would be Fx(max)/n = μ 5000/19600=.26

Is my logic sound? Please help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Naoki. Would you like to have another go at posting your question. None of the details have appeared in your message.

could you look again, I just edited it. thanks

Naoki said:
If were to attempt that is would be Fx(max)/n = μ 5000/19600=.26

Is my logic sound? Please help.
That looks right, assuming it can go no faster without slipping. :smile:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if that is the max speed without slipping. I know that it is the Force of friction with the known. Would that change the answer?

Were the car able to go even faster, still without slipping, then your calculations would come up with a greater value for μ for that surface.

1. How do mass, velocity, and radius affect the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a constant value that represents the force needed to overcome the frictional force between two surfaces. Mass, velocity, and radius do not directly affect the coefficient of static friction. However, they can indirectly affect it by influencing the normal force and the force of gravity between the two surfaces.

2. Can I deduce the coefficient of static friction with only mass, velocity, and radius?

No, the coefficient of static friction cannot be directly deduced with only mass, velocity, and radius. Other factors such as the material of the surfaces and the surface roughness also play a role in determining the coefficient of static friction.

3. How do I calculate the coefficient of static friction with mass, velocity, and radius?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between the two surfaces. The normal force can be calculated by multiplying the mass by the acceleration due to gravity, while the maximum force of static friction can be calculated by multiplying the coefficient of static friction by the normal force.

4. What is the relationship between mass, velocity, radius, and the coefficient of static friction?

There is no direct relationship between mass, velocity, radius, and the coefficient of static friction. However, the coefficient of static friction can be affected by the normal force, which is influenced by these variables.

5. How can I measure the coefficient of static friction with mass, velocity, and radius?

The coefficient of static friction can be measured experimentally by performing a simple inclined plane experiment. By altering the angle of the plane and measuring the mass and velocity of the object, the coefficient of static friction can be calculated using the equations mentioned in question 3.