Can I deduce the coefficient of static friction with Mass, Velocity and Radius?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Naoki
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
The Known:
Mass=2000kg
Velocity=50m/s
Radius=1000m

With the given information the lab worksheet I'm working on is asking me to deduce the coefficient of friction so that I can manipulate the data and answer some questions. The problem I have is that I am not entirely sure that this could be done with just the given information. BTW, this is supposed to be a car on a track.

My attempt at the solution is:

Using Fs= mv^2/r I can get 2000*50^2/1000=5000N

so the question I have is can I use this as the following Fs(max) in this equation to figure out the coefficient of static friction?

Fs(max)=μn where n is the normal force or m*g witch in this case would be 2000*9.8=19,600kgs.

If were to attempt that is would be Fx(max)/n = μ 5000/19600=.26

Is my logic sound? Please help.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Naoki. Would you like to have another go at posting your question. None of the details have appeared in your message.
 
Naoki said:
If were to attempt that is would be Fx(max)/n = μ 5000/19600=.26

Is my logic sound? Please help.
That looks right, assuming it can go no faster without slipping. :smile:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5725/red5e5etimes5e5e45e5e25.gif
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if that is the max speed without slipping. I know that it is the Force of friction with the known. Would that change the answer?
 
Were the car able to go even faster, still without slipping, then your calculations would come up with a greater value for μ for that surface.