Can I get into a US grad school with only two references as a UK undergrad?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
dx
Homework Helper
Messages
2,143
Reaction score
52
I'm currently an undergraduate student in the UK, and would like to go to grad school in America. I've seen a lot of people say that doing REUs is important to get into a good grad school, but undergraduate research is not very common in the UK, other than a project in the final year which really isn't research. Another thing is that all the schools I've looked at ask for three references, and I only know one professor (my tutor) who would be able to provide a meaningful reference. I have one and a half years left as an undergrad, so I will probably be able to develop a relationship with one more professor, but that would still give me only two referees. Any advice? Are there any former UK undergrads here studying in the US?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably you have to do a project/dissertation in your final year, so there's a second reference. Also, final year classes are in general smaller, so you will be able to get to know a lecturer of one of those classes better than a big first year class. Actively try and talk to the lecturer: go to office hours and discuss your work. That way, you can get a more meaningful reference off him.