Can I make a heat-based transport pipe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a pipe with a radial Tesla valve and applying heat to create flow without the need for gravity or cooling. However, it is determined that this would not work because convection is driven by temperature difference, not just heat, and without cooling, the temperature will eventually become uniform and circulation will stop.
Andrew Bridges
I learned about Tesla's valve and how, without moving parts, it wouldn't be useful enough. But my question is, can I make a pipe with the valve's structure, and only apply heat in order to create flow. I know things follow the path of least resistance, and with a constant addition of heat, I'm thinking it would cause a forward flow 100% of the time. Thoughts?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Andrew Bridges said:
my question is, can I make a pipe with the valve's structure, and only apply heat in order to create flow. I know things follow the path of least resistance, and with a constant addition of heat, I'm thinking it would cause a forward flow 100% of the time. Thoughts?

I'm not quite sure I understand your question but..

Some heating systems use convection to circulate hot water around a house (for example) instead of using a pump. It will keep circulating as long as you keep heating one side and allow heat to escape from the other. Typically these are called "gravity" or "gravity fed" systems. They don't usually need a valve at all (except to isolate parts of the system for repairs).

CWatters said:
I'm not quite sure I understand your question but..

Some heating systems use convection to circulate hot water around a house (for example) instead of using a pump. It will keep circulating as long as you keep heating one side and allow heat to escape from the other. Typically these are called "gravity" or "gravity fed" systems. They don't usually need a valve at all (except to isolate parts of the system for repairs).
Right. That's essentially what I'm thinking, but to have a radial tesla valve as the hose or pipe. That way gravity or cooling at one end is unnecessary.

Andrew Bridges said:
That way gravity or cooling at one end is unnecessary.

That won't work. It's not "heat" that drives convection it's "temperature difference". If there is no temperature difference between the two vertical pipes the density of the fluid in each will be the same so there will be nothing driving the circulation through the valve.

It you have a heater one end and "no cooling" at the other then it might work for awhile, but only for as long as there is a temperature difference. If there is no cooling anywhere the temperature of the system will keep rising until the heater can't put anymore in. At that point the temperature will be uniform and circulation will stop.

1. Can heat-based transport pipes be used for all types of materials?

Yes, heat-based transport pipes can be used for a wide range of materials, including liquids, gases, and solids. The pipes are designed to transfer heat from one location to another, making them suitable for transporting various types of materials.

2. Are heat-based transport pipes energy-efficient?

Yes, heat-based transport pipes are generally more energy-efficient compared to other methods of heat transfer, such as convection or conduction. They minimize heat loss and can be designed to operate at high temperatures, resulting in more efficient energy transfer.

3. What is the maximum temperature that heat-based transport pipes can withstand?

The maximum temperature that heat-based transport pipes can withstand depends on the material they are made of and their design. However, they can typically operate at temperatures up to 800 degrees Celsius.

4. How do heat-based transport pipes work?

Heat-based transport pipes work by using a fluid or gas to transfer heat from a hot source to a cooler destination. The fluid or gas flows through the pipe, absorbing heat from the hot source and releasing it at the destination. This process is known as heat exchange.

5. Are there any safety concerns with using heat-based transport pipes?

Like any industrial equipment, there are potential safety concerns with using heat-based transport pipes. It is essential to follow proper safety protocols and ensure that the pipes are designed and maintained correctly to prevent accidents or malfunctions. Additionally, some materials may be hazardous to transport using heat-based pipes, so it is crucial to consider the safety risks before use.