Can I still get into REU programs if I have research experience at a big school?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
phrygian
Messages
77
Reaction score
0
I go to a big school with lots of physics research available. I started in a group at the beginning of this year, and I'm a junior and have good grades. From looking on different REU program websites it seems like a lot of them seem to want people with limited access to research at their school. Since I am at a research school and am currently involved in research do I have much of a chance of getting into any REU's?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you are already involved in research, why do you specifically want an REU?
 
It wouldn't hurt to apply to one or 10 you're interested in.
 
phrygian said:
Since I am at a research school and am currently involved in research do I have much of a chance of getting into any REU's?

Yes you have a fine chance. In fact, you may even have a better chance if some of your letters of recommendation are coming from people you research with saying what a good researcher you are. I know quite a few people who have done multiple REUs and also research at their home university, so you should definitely apply.