Can I Transform x[t] into the Form x[t]=A(t)*cos[ωo*t + θ(t)]?

  • Thread starter Thread starter brad sue
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Expression Form
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
brad sue
Messages
270
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Hi,
I need to prove that:
x[t]=cos(ω0*t)+ cos( ωo*t + Δω*t)

can be transformed into the form:
x[t]=A(t)*cos[ωo*t + θ(t)]

where A(t) and θ(t) are function of Δω.

I have the solution but I cannot find out the way to solve it
A(t)=2|cos(Δω*t)|

and
θ(t)= ArcTan[sin(Δω*t)/(1+cos(Δω*t))]

here I can not figure out how to fin A(t) and θ(t).

please can someone help me ?
thank you
B

The Attempt at a Solution



I have started by using the trigon identity cos(a+b) expansion.

Then, I factor cos[ωo*t] to have 1+cos(Δω*t) and I factor 1+cos(Δω*t) to have the expression under the Arctan.

OK I have:
[tex] [1+\cos (\Delta \omega t) ] [\cos (\omega_0 t) - \sin (\omega_0 t)\frac{\sin (\Delta \omega t)}{1+\cos (\Delta \omega t)}][/tex]

Now let
[tex] \theta(t)=\arctan(\frac{\sin (\Delta \omega t)}{1+\cos (\Delta \omega t)})[/tex]

After that I am stuck..:confused:
I don't know how to continue the transfromation to have another expansion od the type cos(a+b).

 
Physics news on Phys.org
robphy said:
In addition to cos(a+b), can you use cos(a-b)?

Yes I think I can.