queenstudy
- 101
- 0
if i am being asked to write the domain of integration in a triple integral problem in a cartesian form , may i used polar coordinates to express instead of x and y? thank you
I like Serena said:"Cartesian" form in a triple integral means x, y, and z.
"Polar" is another form (meaning r, theta, and phi).
So I would conclude that you're not supposed to use polar coordinates.
queenstudy said:I have any domain D and i want to express the triple integral using cartesian coordinates??
I like Serena said:Then you have no choice.
It has to be x and y.
Btw, I presume you meant double integral?
Otherwise your problem would be 3-dimensional.
queenstudy said:so let me ask this one last time , if you don't mind , when i am askled to find any integration by cartesian coordinates , may i use the polar coordinates or not?? and thank you very very much serena
resolvent1 said:Yes, you can use polar coordinates.
What your professor told you to use is the change of variables formula, by setting x = r sin(theta), etc. This defines a transformation from xyz space to r-theta-z space - thus the integral over, say, a cylinder in xyz space is equal to the integral over a box in r-theta-z space. The integral in r-theta-z space uses cartesian coordinates in that space.
Or in other words, the integral in terms of angles and radii (polar coords) becomes an integral in terms of cartesian coords.