What is the meaning of a triple integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Nathew
Okay so I just have a question on triple integrals. I understand how to use triple integrals to find volumes, but what I really don't understand is what I am really getting when I take the triple integral OF a function.

I understand physical examples like taking the triple integral of a charge/mass density function will give you the total charge/mass, but what about when it is not that case?

If someone could clear this up for me that would be great!

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you could interpret it as a higher-dimensional volume (4-d volume under the graph in 4-d space).

I don't see any issue with always pretending that it's a charge/mass density, unless there is some other interpretation suggested by whatever else you are applying it to.