Can I use the principle of conservation of energy for this problem?

In summary, P has potential energy as it falls to the ground. The available kinetic energy after traveling a distance h gets split between them, with the amount each gets, (each with the same v), is proportional to the mass. The kinetic energy that gets split between them is the potential energy of P, minus the friction energy, and minus the gain of potential energy of mass Q in rising a distance h.
hendrix7
Homework Statement
I have attached an image of the question.
I am trying to tackle part (d) and thought I could use conservation of energy but my numbers don't come out right.
Relevant Equations
The potential energy lost by P in travelling to the ground is 4mg x h sin alpha (3/5) = 12mgh/5
The work done by P against friction is (4mg x cos alpha (4/5) x h)/4 = 4mgh/5
Therefore, the gain in potential energy of Q is 8mgh/5 and this would give an increase in height of Q of 8h/5, but the question simply states that this should be at least 28h/25 so can someone put me straight as to what I'm missing?
2018 Q7.jpg
ddd

Physics news on Phys.org
hendrix7 said:
Homework Statement:: I have attached an image of the question.
I am trying to tackle part (d) and thought I could use conservation of energy but my numbers don't come out right.
Relevant Equations:: The potential energy lost by P in traveling to the ground is 4mg x h sin alpha (3/5) = 12mgh/5
The work done by P against friction is (4mg x cos alpha (4/5) x h)/4 = 4mgh/5
Therefore, the gain in potential energy of Q is 8mgh/5 and this would give an increase in height of Q of 8h/5, but the question simply states that this should be at least 28h/25 so can someone put me straight as to what I'm missing?

View attachment 285256ddd

Please show the equation that you used to get your answer. With that equation missing from your post, we cannot figure out what you missed in the equation.

I think the missing part is that P has kinetic energy as it hits the ground that is simply lost, and this energy needs to be computed and subtracted from the available energy for Q .

Likes Delta2 and kuruman
Charles Link said:
I think the missing part is that P has kinetic energy as it hits the ground that is simply lost, and this energy needs to be computed and subtracted from the available energy for Q .
Yes, in which case Q keeps moving up until it barely reaches the pulley.

On edit: I get a value somewhat higher than ##\dfrac{28h}{25}.##

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
I did get the same 8/5 factor that the OP got, before I realized this kinetic energy that P has needs to get subtracted out.

kuruman said:
On edit: I get a value somewhat higher than
The available kinetic energy after traveling a distance ## h ## gets split between them, with the amount each gets, (each with the same ## v ##), is proportional to the mass. The kinetic energy that gets split between them is the potential energy of P, minus the friction energy, and minus the gain of potential energy of mass Q in rising a distance ##h ##.

The next step, once the kinetic energy of P is computed, is to set ## mgd>## Energy available from P.

I agree with the d> 28h/25 answer.

alternatively, one could compute the kinetic energy of Q after the distance ##h ##, and set this equal to ## mg \Delta ## , and then we must have ## d> h+\Delta ##.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
alternatively, one could compute the kinetic energy of Q after the distance ##h ##, and set this equal to ## mg \Delta ## , and then we must have ## d> h+\Delta ##.
That's how I did it at first and got ##d>\dfrac{31h}{25}##. After redoing it, more carefully, I got ##d>\dfrac{28h}{25}.## All is well.

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
Of course! Thank you so much. How did I miss that?

Likes Charles Link

1. Can the principle of conservation of energy be applied to all problems?

Yes, the principle of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all systems and problems. It states that energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

2. How do I know if I can use the principle of conservation of energy for a specific problem?

You can use the principle of conservation of energy if the problem involves the transfer or transformation of energy. This can include situations such as objects falling, collisions, or changes in potential or kinetic energy.

3. What are the limitations of the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy is a powerful tool for solving problems, but it does have some limitations. It does not take into account external forces such as friction or air resistance, and it cannot be applied to systems that are not isolated.

4. Can I use the principle of conservation of energy to calculate the exact values of energy in a system?

No, the principle of conservation of energy only states that the total energy in a closed system remains constant. It does not provide exact values for the energy in a system, but can be used to determine the relationships between different forms of energy.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the principle of conservation of energy?

Yes, the principle of conservation of energy has many real-life applications. It is used in industries such as engineering, energy production, and transportation to optimize systems and reduce energy waste. It also plays a crucial role in understanding natural phenomena such as climate change and the behavior of celestial bodies.