Can intense gravity stop atomic motion ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential for intense gravity in black holes to stop atomic motion, leading to questions about where the kinetic energy goes and whether it radiates before entering the black hole. The speaker notes that there is no concrete evidence or studies on this topic and it remains a theory. They also mention the possibility of objects being in motion before reaching the event horizon and the existence of theories on time dilation in relation to gravity. However, the speaker ultimately believes that energy cannot simply disappear and must go somewhere, even if it is beyond our current understanding.
B4ssHunter
can intense gravity like this in black holes stop atomic motion/jiggling ?
if it does , where does the kinetic energy go ? does it radiate before entering a black hole ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The thing is we don't know.Surely the atomic structure if there even is one anymore is way way different than in ordinary conditions.

Actually I could say pretty much anything , like that Julius Caesar lives in one of them because you cannot prove me wrong as you cannot look into one , nor is anyone of those ever achieved here on Earth and studied up close.
The thing is we have theories , and good guesses nothing more on this one.
If you ask me personally , I think there has to be motion , energy cannot just disappear in thin air it has to go somewhere and do something , anything beyond that is poetry.

P.S. Surely the stuff before the event horizon and the radiation that the BH spills as it evaporates is in motion , what is in between I don't know.

Likes 1 person
Crazymechanic said:
The thing is we don't know.Surely the atomic structure if there even is one anymore is way way different than in ordinary conditions.

Actually I could say pretty much anything , like that Julius Caesar lives in one of them because you cannot prove me wrong as you cannot look into one , nor is anyone of those ever achieved here on Earth and studied up close.
The thing is we have theories , and good guesses nothing more on this one.
If you ask me personally , I think there has to be motion , energy cannot just disappear in thin air it has to go somewhere and do something , anything beyond that is poetry.

P.S. Surely the stuff before the event horizon and the radiation that the BH spills as it evaporates is in motion , what is in between I don't know.
makes a lot of sense, but arent there any theories about it ?

Time dilation due to gravity does not steal energy. In the frame of reference of whatever object you are talking about, it is never time dilated and its energy remains constant.

Intense gravity, such as that found in black holes, can indeed stop atomic motion. This is because the strong gravitational forces in a black hole can overcome the thermal energy of atoms and molecules, causing them to stop vibrating and moving. However, this does not necessarily mean that the atoms are completely stationary. According to quantum mechanics, even at absolute zero temperature, atoms and particles still have a small amount of inherent motion, known as zero-point energy.

As for the kinetic energy of the atoms, it does not simply disappear. It is converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or radiation. In the case of black holes, the kinetic energy of the atoms may be converted into gravitational potential energy as they are pulled towards the singularity at the center of the black hole. This potential energy contributes to the overall mass and gravitational pull of the black hole.

It is also possible that some of the kinetic energy is radiated away as electromagnetic radiation before entering the black hole. This can happen if the atoms or particles are heated up and emit light as they are being pulled towards the black hole. This process is known as gravitational redshift and is one of the ways in which black holes can be detected indirectly.

In summary, intense gravity in black holes can indeed stop atomic motion, but the kinetic energy of the atoms is not lost. It is converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or radiation, and may contribute to the overall properties of the black hole.

What is intense gravity?

Intense gravity refers to a strong gravitational force that is capable of significantly affecting the movement and behavior of matter.

How can intense gravity stop atomic motion?

Intense gravity can stop atomic motion by exerting a strong enough pull on the atoms, causing them to come to a standstill and reducing their kinetic energy.

What are the effects of intense gravity on atomic motion?

The effects of intense gravity on atomic motion can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force. In some cases, it may completely stop atomic motion, while in others it may only slow it down.

Can intense gravity be created artificially?

Yes, intense gravity can be created artificially in high-energy particle accelerators or by using very strong magnetic fields to simulate the effects of intense gravity.

Are there any real-life examples of intense gravity stopping atomic motion?

Yes, there are several real-life examples of intense gravity stopping atomic motion, such as in the formation of neutron stars and black holes, where the intense gravitational force can cause atoms to collapse and lose their motion.