Can laser diodes be safely used in children's toys?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hedons
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Lasers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
hedons
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Hi,
I am a ME working on a toy design. I know next to nothing about lasers diodes.

Is there a laser diode of low enough power that it could be safely incorporated into a kids toy? (visible "dot" required. Or is all laser light potentially harmful to the retina?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Try a class II laser, < 1 mW output power.

http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/optics507/Laboratories/Laser%20Safety.htm

- Warren
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a laser diode of low enough power that it could be safely incorporated into a kids toy?
Does it have to be a laser? Could you just use a LED as the light source?
 
Originally posted by dlgoff
Does it have to be a laser? Could you just use a LED as the light source?

Hi Don,
I think it would have to be a laser as I need to reflect a narrow beam off several surfaces.
 
...I need to reflect a narrow beam off several surfaces.
Are you using it as "machine vision"? e.g. using it to locate where the toy is?
 
Originally posted by dlgoff
Are you using it as "machine vision"? e.g. using it to locate where the toy is?

Hi Don,
Without giving too much away...
I am using it to create a series of reflected visible beams as it passes through a suspended medium.

Thanks!
 
Originally posted by hedons
Hi Don,
Without giving too much away...
I am using it to create a series of reflected visible beams as it passes through a suspended medium.

Thanks!

Just curious. Does it have to be visible light or could it be infered?

Regards
 
It must be visible for the effect I am looking for.