Can locality be retrocausal?

entropy1
Gold Member
Does the definition of locality in the QM sense include the prohibition of retrocausality?

Answers and Replies

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Given that this is B-level, I have to ask if you know what those words mean. For example, how do you express locality mathematically? And if you don't, how can we provide a B-level answer?

Likes bhobba
entropy1
Gold Member
Given that this is B-level, I have to ask if you know what those words mean. For example, how do you express locality mathematically? And if you don't, how can we provide a B-level answer?
Can you give a yes/no answer?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
No I can't because I can't figure out what you actually mean by your question.

Likes Demystifier
entropy1
Gold Member
I looked up 'quantum mechanics locality', and did a few similar searches, but I can't find a definition of QM locality, so I don't know how to describe or formulate it. I mean the locality as it is ment by the Bell-inequality. If you need an I-thread I will ask to make this thread one.

Nugatory
Mentor
Does the definition of locality in the QM sense include the prohibition of retrocausality?
In any proper journal article the authors will define what they mean by words of this sort, precisely because there is no single universally understood definition. Unless and until you do that, the answer to this question is going to be some variant of "It depends".

Likes entropy1
entropy1
Gold Member
Ok, suppose an event E lies in the same lightcone as an event C, that occurs earlier in time. Then C can causally affect E, as long as E lies in the same lightcone as C. Suppose that we call this "C locally causes E". Now my question is: if we consider retrocausality to be theoretically possible, then, if E would retrocause an event R that lies in the same lightcone as E, but earlier in time, would this be called "local"?

Sorry if I'm a bit fuzzy in my formulation.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The proof of the Bell theorem contains an assumption that there is no retrocausality. The transactional interpretation of QM assumes that it is precisely retrocausality that resolves the associated quantum puzzles.

Likes bhobba and entropy1
PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Sorry if I'm a bit fuzzy in my formulation.
You apparently haven't grasped the fact that it is the fuzziness that makes it impossible to give a definite answer to your question. That's not going to change no matter how many times you rephrase it.

entropy1
Gold Member
You apparently haven't grasped the fact that it is the fuzziness that makes it impossible to give a definite answer to your question. That's not going to change no matter how many times you rephrase it.
Well, maybe if I put it this way:
Bell showed that "Local Realism" can not be maintained as part of QM. So what does the term "local" mean in this context? It is often explained as: "Spooky action at a distance", but I don't know what is ment by that.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Well, maybe if I put it this way:
Bell showed that "Local Realism" can not be maintained as part of QM. So what does the term "local" mean in this context? It is often explained as: "Spooky action at a distance", but I don't know what is ment by that.
For that purpose you need to read an actual proof of the Bell theorem, because such a proof contains a precise formal definition of locality.

PeterDonis
Mentor
Insights Author
2020 Award
Bell showed that "Local Realism" can not be maintained as part of QM. So what does the term "local" mean in this context?
Have you read Bell's paper? He gives an explicit definition of his concept of "locality".

entropy1
Gold Member
Ok, I will check that out.

entropy1
Gold Member
I can only find this definition:
that the result of a measurement on one system be unaffected by operations on a distant system with which it has interacted in the past
Is that what you mean? Or need I do the math?

entropy1
Gold Member
@PeterDonis I used this text, which is searchable. I think it is the same one. I searched for "local" and got four matches.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
@PeterDonis I used this text, which is searchable. I think it is the same one. I searched for "local" and got four matches.
In this paper, the locality assumption is "the vital assumption" after Eq. (1).

Likes entropy1
entropy1
Gold Member
Ok. I tried to read through this paper at least two times in the past, but I find the math pretty complicated. I will give it another try. :wink:

stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It seems that Bell's separability condition is logically something beyond locality. Without even mentioning locality, there is an assumption along the lines of:

If ##A## is correlated with ##B##, then it must be the case that one of the following is true:
  1. ##A## influences ##B##
  2. ##B## influences ##A##
  3. There is some common cause ##C## that influences both.
If you make this assumption (@Demystifier probably knows the philosophical term for it), then it follows that quantum mechanics has FTL influences. Conversely (or contrapositively, maybe), if you assume that there are no FTL influences, then it follows that quantum mechanics violates the above principle/assumption.

So what is the status of that assumption? It doesn't seem logically necessary, but it seems that an assumption along those lines is behind every scientific investigation. The fact that two things are correlated is considered grounds to investigate would could cause the correlation.

An example: If you find two radios, you turn them on, and you find out that they are playing the same sequence of songs and news announcements, then you assume that either they are playing a recording, and the two have copies of the same recording, or else there is a radio station broadcasting to both of them. You assume there is a common cause for the correlation.

But there is nothing logically inconsistent about assuming that the radios are just emitting random noise, and one of the laws of the universe is that the random noise produced on one radio is always the same as that produced on the other. Entanglement in quantum mechanics without FTL influences seems a lot like this possibility. You have distant particles, and certain measurements on them are correlated, but there is no common cause to the measurement outcomes.

Likes Demystifier
Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
If ##A## is correlated with ##B##, then it must be the case that one of the following is true:
  1. ##A## influences ##B##
  2. ##B## influences ##A##
  3. There is some common cause ##C## that influences both.
If you make this assumption (@Demystifier probably knows the philosophical term for it),
It's called the Reichenbach's common cause principle.

Demystifier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
But there is nothing logically inconsistent about assuming that the radios are just emitting random noise, and one of the laws of the universe is that the random noise produced on one radio is always the same as that produced on the other.
But if there was such a law, I don't see how can see such a law be considered a local law.

For that reason, some defenders of local interpretation of QM go a step further, by denying the existence of correlation before the observation of correlation. For instance, if Alice measures spin of one particle in New York and, at the same time, Bob measures spin of the other particle in London, there is no correlation until someone (say Charlie) looks at both measurement results.

Last edited:
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
For that treason, some defenders of local interpretation of QM go a step further, by denying the existence of correlation before the observation of correlation. For instance, if Alice measures spin of one particle in New york and, at the same time, Bob measures spin of the other particle in London, there is no correlation until someone (say Charlie) looks at both measurement results.
What is the punishment for treason against the scientific method?

Likes Demystifier
stevendaryl
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
But if there was such a law, I don't see how can see such a law be considered a local law.
Yes, I agree. But it's not logically necessary to posit a FTL mechanism for the correlations. You could just say that that's the way the universe works.

Likes martinbn
martinbn
Science Advisor
Yes, I agree. But it's not logically necessary to posit a FTL mechanism for the correlations. You could just say that that's the way the universe works.
To add to this, I think that if you propose a FTL mechanism, you need to show, at least in principle, a scenario where there can be FTL transmission.