Can logarithms be applied to Modular arithmetic

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of equivalence in modular arithmetic, specifically in the case of n = 3. It also mentions the definition of addition in modular arithmetic and the need to check its consistency. The conversation then moves on to the concept of discrete logarithms and their calculation. Finally, it mentions Fermat's Little Theorem and its implications.
l-1j-cho
I was just curious. I believe the answer would be no, but I don;t know why

Mathematics news on Phys.org
l-1j-cho said:

I'm not sure of your background with modular arithmetic, so I'll just start small...
We consider all numbers with the same remainder after dividing by n to be EQUIVALENT.
For example, 2 = 5 = 8 = 11 = 300000000000002 = -1 mod 3. (Here, the "triple" bar sign would be better than the double bar equality, but I'm avoiding markup)

So in the case of n = 3, there are 3 classes: [0], [1], and [2].
We define addition by [x] + [y] = [x + y].
BUT, we have to check that this really is a function (i.e. that it is well-defined).

Similarly, we would have to check for such a definition including logarithms, but I think you'll find that we can't get anything consistent to work.

0 = ln[1] = ln[4] = 2ln[2] = 2*.6931... ?

If that assumption were true...

Fermat’s Little Theorem states that
n^p ≡ n (mod p)
where n is an integer and p is a prime number
This implies
log (base n) n^p ≡ log (base n) n (mod p)
Therefore
p ≡ 1 (mod p)
In conclusion
0 ≡ 1 (mod p)

ha...

Last edited:
l-1j-cho said:

There's a thing called the discrete logarithm, that's been defined for modular arithmetic.
Calculating it is non-trivial.

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discrete_logarithm

"a solution x of the equation gx = h is called a discrete logarithm to the base g of h"

1. Can logarithms be used in modular arithmetic?

Yes, logarithms can be applied to modular arithmetic in certain cases. However, it is important to understand the limitations and conditions under which logarithms can be used in modular arithmetic.

2. How do logarithms apply to modular arithmetic?

Logarithms can be used in modular arithmetic to solve equations involving exponents and modular arithmetic. In particular, the discrete logarithm problem is a fundamental concept in modular arithmetic that involves finding the exponent used in a modular exponentiation equation.

3. What are the limitations of using logarithms in modular arithmetic?

One of the main limitations is that logarithms can only be applied to certain types of modular arithmetic equations, specifically those involving exponents. Additionally, the base of the logarithm must be a primitive root modulo n, where n is the modulus.

4. Can logarithms be used to simplify modular arithmetic equations?

Yes, in some cases logarithms can be used to simplify modular arithmetic equations. For example, the properties of logarithms can be applied to simplify equations involving modular exponentiation.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using logarithms in modular arithmetic?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of using logarithms in modular arithmetic. One example is in cryptography, where logarithms are used to solve the discrete logarithm problem and create secure encryption algorithms.