Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Can mankind transcend the fabric of space and time?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Maybe

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    A question that came out spontaneously, what do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
    This is not scientific nor philosophical in the smallest regard.

4. Jun 16, 2008 #3
    Its both to me, is it too hard for you to answer?

5. Jun 16, 2008 #4
    Following Kant you would be exactly right in saying that it is not a philosophical question.

I do not see any reason why it is necessarily not a scientific question, according to Popper's definition of science.

Finally, I am inclined to answer the question in the affirmative, following Sartre who emphasized the meaning of the quote from Dostoevsky, viz "If there is no god, then anything is possible."

6. Jun 16, 2008 #5
    There is nothing difficult about it. Why do you automatically assume that I am ignorant to difficult questions? I didn't initially feel the need to waste my time with such a question because applying simple logic negates the proposition. Not to mention it was not proposed in a logical and comprehensive manner.

Posting this shows that you did not fully read the forum guidelines that you agreed to when you registered.

You did not define any parameters of your statement.

The question was spontaneous, meaning you didn't give it serious thought before posting.

What do you mean by transcend?

How do you mean 'humans transcending'?

What is the 'fabric of space time' and what is there to transcend to?

I mean no personal offense. I am dissecting your ideas, not you. So please return the favor and lets keep this civil. If we can answer these questions and reformulate the original then we might have something to discuss, but I imagine this thread will be locked anyway.

Edit: to crosson: the manner and the premise in which the question was asked is not scientific. As I said above, it might be if really reformulated...

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  7. Jun 17, 2008 #6
    I am very interested in the scientific concepts of space and time, and I should say I fully agree with robertm : there is not much scientific content in this discussion, not even general discussion. "Transcend" can be interpreted in too many ways. What do you mean by "fabric" ? That there is something more fundamental from which space-time emerges ? That we may find technological uses from those speculative theories, such as space-time travel (teleportation and/or time machines) ? See, internet and this very forum transcend space and time in some sense.

Unless the question is reformulated, I'm afraid it won't take long for this thread to be locked.

8. Jun 17, 2008 #7
    Transcend: to pass beyond the limits of.

The phrase "the fabric" in "the fabric of space and time" is redundant, so we could reformulate this as simply "spacetime."

So the reformulation of the question is:

Can mankind go beyond the limits of spacetime?

According to physics our material bodies will never go beyond these limits, but I do not know anyone who can convincingly argue that we are merely material bodies. Our more abstract thoughts already seem to be beyond space and time, so it seems that without our mundane bodily lives we would all be beyond space and time.

9. Jun 17, 2008 #8
    Yeah its definately possible...using advanced antimatter reactors(which have not been invented yet) you can develop an anti gravity field around a craft, which can be used to warp space-time... This also enables a craft to travel along contours of spacetime while anti gravity stops any influence of other mass, making the craft effectively massless and capable of faster than light travel !

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  10. Jun 17, 2008 #9

All thoughts occur in your brain, where is the problem?

11. Jun 17, 2008 #10
    the problem is, that we do not yet know what exactly thoughts are, nor are we in a position to explain why they originate.

12. Jun 17, 2008 #11
    Thank you, I have a dictionary. I am interested in the OP context of thoughts.
    No it would not be redundant if you say for instance that space-time emerges from loop quantum gravity, or from twistor space, or from any other mechanism you can mathematically define (or at least describe).
    So this is not a scientific question, since by definition (such as Einstein was describing in great details more than a century ago), space-time should be understood as comprehending the entire Universe, including possible extension we are not yet aware of, and which were later suggested by the flexibility of the equations.

Nobody could possibly convince anybody else either way, provided one has already make up his mind on this question. Once again this is not scientific.
    My abstract thoughts are located in the chemical reactions taking place in the neurons of my brain.

13. Jun 17, 2008 #12
    I do not know what book you read, but I can tell you I personally talked to people who measure antineutrons fall. Antimatter does not fly away in a gravitational field, this is an experimental fact. There is no such thing as antigravity. This is science-fiction.

I'm aware that science-fiction can become future technology, and that this has happened often in the past. But it happens more often that science-fiction simply is imagination.

14. Jun 17, 2008 #13
    Anti gravity is not like gravity at all... All i am saying is that energy evolved during annihilation can be used to create a repulsive force field around the desired object, which can be used to counteract effects of gravity.

15. Jun 17, 2008 #14
    I think the technics you are referring to in your previous post require negative energy density. Basically, there are Hawking theorems which prove you will not be able to do fancy stuff such as time travel and teleportation (or merely over-speeding light) unless you break some energy positivity condition.

There has always been around exotic ideas about antimatter/antigravity hiding where we had not done experiments yet.

16. Jun 17, 2008 #15
    But there is no reason for antigravity to not exist. Of all the four fundamental forces other three attract as well as repell.. so why should gravity just attract?

17. Jun 17, 2008 #16
    I think the answer to that one will not satisfy you : gravity is always attractive for the same reason that mass is always positive.

There are many arguments to show that gravity must attract, but in the end, they all reduce to this condition.

Now there is a way out of this annoying situation. One can insist that antimatter can not fall, but must fly away. For this, one only needs to re-interpret antimatter just as matter going backward in time. Although it might seem foolish, it is quite a useful trick, and it works wonders.

18. Jun 17, 2008 #17
    You can't literally mean that the thoughts are in my brain, the same way that my brain is in my skull. You must mean that you think the chemical reactions somehow give rise to thoughts. But there is no mathematical or scientific formulation of this idea, and so your idea is just as nonsensical as any other.

If I type a thought into the computer, that doesn't mean the thought is in the computer, but only a typed symbolic record of it. In fact it would require thought to interpret the typed symbolic record as a thought. Don't confuse the thing that holds a record of the thoughts (computer memory, the human brain) with the thing that has (feels) thoughts.

By the way, I am a physicist and I also formerly held on to the nonsensical dogmatic belief that "thoughts are identical to the electro-chemical processes of the brain."

19. Jun 17, 2008 #18
    I am sorry that you have changed your mind, and am interested to know what could possibly have convinced you.

There is nothing nonsensical about it. No one is confusing the brain with any special magical 'feeling' of thoughts. Your thoughts can not exist without your physical brain. It is that simple. Just because the human brain has the wonderful ability to experience the senses without physical input dose not mean that there is anything magical going on.

As a physicist, why would you rather assume that an option based on ZERO logical and empirical evidence is in anyway viable? Why would you base a belief, ANY belief on 'feelings' and whimsical ideals? We all know how incredibly subjective 'feelings' can be.

The bottom line: There is no evidence to support any form of the possible transcendental nature of human thought. There is however a logical way of describing and quantifying with the scientific method the reasons why 'thoughts' which exist only in the imagination of a brain seem so intangible.

20. Jun 17, 2008 #19
    Gravity is not a force. It is a pseudo force that arises from the nature of spacetime.

21. Jun 17, 2008 #20
    The way I see it is this: I know my thoughts exist, but I dont know for sure that my brain exists, hence my thoughts are not the same thing as my brain or anything that happens within it. Maybe my thoughts couln't exist without my brain, but maybe my brain couldn't exist without my thoughts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?